Calculating the Z Component of a Force: Solving for the Unknown Vector Component

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the components of a 200kN force along the x, y, and z directions. The individual is able to find the x and y components, but is struggling with finding the z component. After researching, they are able to find the correct calculations for all three components.
Brophi
What are the components of the 200kN force along, the x, y and z directions?
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1358/72180912.jpg

So, I can find the x and y components, but I don't know how to find the z component, I have been researching on the internet, my textbook (Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics) and in my lecture notes, but I just can't find how to find the z component.

Fx = 200cos 41.4 = 150 N
Fy = 200sin 30 = 100 N
Fz = ?

Please HELP!

P.S. Sorry if the post isn't in the right format, but I need the answer soon and I only just registered..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get Fx=200*cos(41.4)? That's the right answer, but it's not how I would have done the question.

The projection of the force on the x-z plane is F*cos(30), correct? Now you can split this force, F*cos(30), into its x and z components just like you do with any vector in 2 dimensions.

Hi Brophi, welcome to PF.
F*cos(30) is the projection of F on the xz plane.
From that you can find z component.
Can you show your calculation for Fx ? from where did you get 41.4 degree angle?

This stuff is all very new and confusing to me but I think I got the the right answer for Fz = 100cos30 = 86.6 and I'm really not sure how I got to this or 41.4 for Fx... Could someone explain it maybe? sorry for the inconvenience, its just kinda frustrating that I can't figure this out (been trying for a ffew hours straight)...

I found it! This forum rules...

found the answer at https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1439702&postcount=2

Fx = 200 sin 60 cos 30
Fy = 200 sin 30
Fz = 200 sin 60 sin 30

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating the Z Component of a Force: Solving for the Unknown Vector Component

What is the Z Component of a force?

The Z component of a force is the vertical component of a force in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It is the component of the force that acts in the direction perpendicular to the x-y plane.

How is the Z Component of a force calculated?

The Z component of a force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the sine of the angle between the force vector and the z-axis.

What is the significance of the Z Component of a force in physics?

The Z component of a force is important in understanding the overall direction and magnitude of a force. It helps to determine the motion and stability of an object in three-dimensional space.

Can the Z Component of a force be negative?

Yes, the Z component of a force can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive z-axis. In this case, the force is considered to be acting in the negative z direction.

How is the Z Component of a force represented in equations?

The Z component of a force is typically represented by the letter Fz or Fz in equations. It is often used in conjunction with the x and y components of a force to fully describe the force vector in three-dimensional space.