Calculating the Velocity of a Catapulted Object

In summary, we are given the information that a catapult is pulled back 10cm with a force of 30N and we need to find the maximum speed of the stone, assuming no air resistance. Using the equation Ek=1/2mv^2 and rearranging it, we can find that V=sqrt[Ek/(1/2m)]. Other useful equations are WD=Fs and Ep=mgh. We also need to take into account that the parts of the catapult have zero mass and that the catapult is immovable. We need to determine the force applied to the stone and over what distance. There is an error in the given information and we should stick to GCSE standard.
I-Love-Maths2
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
A catapult is pulled back 10cm with a force of 30N. How fast does the stone of mass 0.5kg got at maximum speed assuming no air resistance.

I have absolutely no idea how to do this...
But, I am assuming you use Ek=1/2mv^2, though I can't figure out how to apply it

To rearrange that:
V=sqrt[Ek/(1/2m)]

So, to make it clearer
- 10cm would be the displacement (s)
- 30N would be the force (F)
- 0.5kg would be the mass (m)
- 9.8m/s is the given unit for gravity in GCSE (g)

Other equations that might be useful:
- WD=Fs so WD=300J
- Ep=mgh
- W=mg

So from that we need an equation that uses WD and m

Can anybody help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much force will be applied to the stone - and over what distance?
I think we are supposed to assume that the parts of the catapult have zero mass...
and that the catapult is immovable.

I-Love-Maths2 said:
WD=Fs so WD=300J
what becomes of WD once the projectile is away ?

By the way, you do have an error in there ...

Keep this down to GCSE standard please
Does WD=Ek according to the conservation of energy?

I think the exercise allows you to set the kinetic energy equal to the work done.
I-Love-Maths2 said:
Keep this down to GCSE standard please
I'm not from a different planet, but I'm not familiar with this standard. All I know is you don't get Joules if you multiply N with cm :rolleyes:

Oh, and a belated: hello Love, :welcome:

Related to Calculating the Velocity of a Catapulted Object

1. What is velocity from a catapult?

Velocity from a catapult is the speed at which an object is launched from the catapult. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is velocity from a catapult calculated?

The velocity from a catapult can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the catapult.

3. What factors affect the velocity from a catapult?

The velocity from a catapult is affected by several factors such as the tension in the catapult's elastic material, the angle at which the object is launched, and the weight and shape of the object being launched.

4. How does increasing the tension affect the velocity from a catapult?

Increasing the tension in the catapult's elastic material will result in a higher velocity from the catapult as it provides more force to launch the object.

5. Can the velocity from a catapult be increased by changing the angle of launch?

Yes, changing the angle of launch can affect the velocity from a catapult. Launching an object at a higher angle will result in a greater vertical velocity, while launching at a lower angle will result in a greater horizontal velocity.