Calculating the upward and downward plasma speeds

In summary, the conversation revolved around the calculation of upward and downward plasma speeds using a given equation and data. The shock jump number of 3 was mentioned, along with a calculated shock wave speed of 555 km/s based on plasma density. The desired upstream and downstream plasma speeds were still needed, and an equation was provided with two unknowns. The desired speeds were stated to be -285 km/s and -95 km/s. Additional context was requested regarding the term "shock jump number" and what the different densities represented.
Tom-Physics

Homework Statement

Hi!

I have trouble with calculating the upward and downward plasma speeds. I have the necessary data and an equation that is useful (I think), but I'm stuck.

Homework Equations

The shock jump number Zs=3 in this case , and I've calculated the shock wave speed (555 km/s), which was calculated from the plasma density. The densities are n1=30 cm^-3 and n2=90 cm^-3 if you want to know.
And now, I need the upstream and downstream plasma speeds.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that one equation that can be used is:
u'1/u'2==B2/B1=n2/n1Zs

Here, u'1 is the upward speed and u'2 the downward.
But this doesn't give me any solutions because we have two unknowns .I know that the answers should be -285 km/s and -95 km/s respectively.

I have data for the magnetic fields and proton temperatures. Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you add some context? This thread is literally the only google hit where "shock jump number" is used as an expression. What is that?

Shock wave of what, and how did you calculate its speed? What do the two different densities represent?

Related to Calculating the upward and downward plasma speeds

What is upward and downward plasma speed?

Upward and downward plasma speed refers to the velocity of charged particles in a plasma, a state of matter in which atoms are ionized and electrons are free to move. It is commonly measured in kilometers per second.

How do you calculate upward and downward plasma speeds?

The upward and downward plasma speeds can be calculated using the formula v = sqrt(2*e*q/m), where v is the velocity, e is the electric field strength, q is the charge of the particle, and m is the mass of the particle.

What factors can affect upward and downward plasma speeds?

The upward and downward plasma speeds can be influenced by various factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the density of the plasma, the temperature of the particles, and the presence of other charged particles or fields.

Why is it important to calculate upward and downward plasma speeds?

Calculating upward and downward plasma speeds is crucial in understanding the behavior and dynamics of plasma, which is present in many natural and man-made systems such as the Earth's ionosphere, the sun's corona, and fusion reactors. It also has practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering and plasma propulsion.

Are there any limitations to calculating upward and downward plasma speeds?

While the formula for calculating upward and downward plasma speeds is generally accurate, it may not take into account all the complex interactions and variations in a plasma environment. It is important to consider the specific conditions and assumptions used in the calculation to ensure the accuracy of the results.