Calculating the total capacitance of a network of capacitors

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the total capacitance of a capacitor network displayed in an uploaded picture. The network involves capacitors in series and parallel, but the presence of a capacitor at node 6 complicates the calculation. A suggestion is made to use the wye to delta conversion to simplify the network. The conversation also mentions using Kirchhoff's Circuit Law and phasor impedances to solve the problem. The issue of DC circuits is also addressed. The conversation concludes with a link to a forum where the problem has been solved.
martin25p2

Homework Statement

I would like to know how to calculate the total capacity of the capacity network displayed in the uploaded picture.
condensator.png

I know how to calculate the total capacity if the capacity are in parallel or in series, but I am confused by the capacity Nr 6. I know how to calculate the total capacity for the case if they are all the same, please give me an advice how to solve for the case of different capacities.

Homework Equations

C = Q/U

The Attempt at a Solution

The part between 2-3-6 and 4-6-5 are not connected to the source, so their total charge must be zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean capacitor network and you're trying to find the total capacitance between the two leads (one going to #2 and the other to #3).
I would start by reviewing what is the resulting capacitance if:
- two capacitors are in series
- two capacitors are in parallel

Just focus on parts of the circuit to start.

Thank you for your response, but it is not that simple. Please take a closer look at the capacitor number 6: if it would not be for it, the network would be easily solveable as you wrote, but that is not the case, or I fail to see how one can redraw the network in a simpler way. I do know how to calculate the total capacity if the capacitors are in parallel or in series, but that is not that easy here.

magoo said:
I think you mean capacitor network and you're trying to find the total capacitance between the two leads (one going to #2 and the other to #3).
I would start by reviewing what is the resulting capacitance if:
- two capacitors are in series
- two capacitors are in parallel

Just focus on parts of the circuit to start.

There is a wye to delta conversion. 4-5-6 form a wye as drawn. You can convert them to a delta. Do you know how to do that?

martin25p2 said:
Thank you for your response, but it is not that simple. Please take a closer look at the capacitor number 6: if it would not be for it, the network would be easily solveable as you wrote, but that is not the case, or I fail to see how one can redraw the network in a simpler way.
If the values of the capacitors have certain symmetries, you may still be able to collapse it. But in the general case, just write the KCL equations to solve the problem.

Ground the right node and write the KCL equations for each of the other nodes. Put in a test voltage of 1Vac at a constant frequency at the left node, and calculate the total current. That will end up leading you to the total capacitance.

EDIT -- or use the hint from @magoo ...

Thank you for the hint with wye to delta conversion. I have just read about it how to do it for resistances, I assume it will be similar done with the impedance of capacitors...will this be still correct for DC? What are the KLC equations ?

martin25p2 said:
What are the KLC equations ?
The KCL equations are "Kirchoff's Current Law" equations. They are often written as the sum of all currents out of each node must total to zero. Have you learned about them yet? How about phasor impedances? Or are you in a DC circuits class right now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws

Thanks, I am familiar with Kirchhoff's Circuit Law, just not with the abbreviation. I solved that exercise for the case of identical capacities, but I was wondering how to do it for different ones. The wye to delta transformation is the way to go. (I did not know of that before). For DC the impedance becomes infinity, but I think one should still be able to do the transformations. Thank you very much for your help. Greetings from Germany :^)

Related to Calculating the total capacitance of a network of capacitors

1. How do I calculate the total capacitance of a network of capacitors?

To calculate the total capacitance of a network of capacitors, you will need to use the formula: Ctotal = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... + Cn, where Ctotal is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, and so on represent the individual capacitances of each capacitor in the network.

2. Can the total capacitance be greater than the capacitance of any individual capacitor in the network?

Yes, the total capacitance can be greater than the capacitance of any individual capacitor in the network. This is because when capacitors are connected in parallel, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances.

3. How does the arrangement of capacitors in a network affect the total capacitance?

The arrangement of capacitors in a network can affect the total capacitance in two ways: series and parallel. In series, the total capacitance is less than the smallest individual capacitance, while in parallel, the total capacitance is greater than the sum of the individual capacitances.

4. What if some capacitors in the network are connected in series and others are connected in parallel?

In this case, you will need to simplify the network by combining the capacitors in series and parallel until you have a single equivalent capacitor. Then, you can use the formula mentioned in question 1 to calculate the total capacitance.

5. How does the value of the capacitors affect the total capacitance of a network?

The value of the capacitors affects the total capacitance in a network by determining the amount of charge that can be stored. Capacitors with larger values will have a higher total capacitance, meaning they can store more charge, while capacitors with smaller values will have a lower total capacitance, meaning they can store less charge.