Calculating the suction force produced by a Venturi

In summary, the venturi effect states that when a fluid passes through a constriction, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases. This decrease in pressure creates a suction force, which can be utilized in applications such as powering a vacuum cup inside a water pipe. However, calculations for estimating the suction force can lead to seemingly meaningless results. Substituting known information into the formula for the venturi effect, a pressure difference of 1.035716981*10^9 Pa is obtained. This results in a high suction force of 732105N, which may indicate a misunderstanding of the principle. Further clarification is needed.
amrbekhit
Dear all,

As I understand the venturi effect, if a flow of water passes through a constriction, its velocity increases and its pressure decreases at the restriction. The decrease in pressure allows a suction force to be produced.

I am trying to use this principle in order to power a vacuum cup inside a water pipe, but my initial calculations for estimating the suction force are producing seemingly meaningless results.

According to http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=venturi", the formula describing the venturi effect is:

[tex]Q=1/4\,\pi\,{{\it D1}}^{2}\sqrt {2}\sqrt {{\frac {{\it P1}-{\it P2}}{
\rho}}}{\frac {1}{\sqrt {{\frac {{{\it D1}}^{4}}{{{\it D2}}^{4}}}-1}}}
[/tex]

From my understanding, the vacuum pressure generated by the venturi is [tex]P1-P2[/tex]. So, rearranging the above equation to make that the subject gives:

[tex]{\it P1}-{\it P2}=8\,{Q}^{2} \left( {\frac {{{\it D1}}^{4}}{{{\it D2}}
^{4}}}-1 \right) \rho{\pi }^{-2}{{\it D1}}^{-4}[/tex]

In my situation, I have the following known information:

• Diameter of pipe: 8"
  • Water speed: 0.9m/s
  • Water Pressure: 2.8bar

From the diameter and water speed, I calculate that the flow rate is:

[tex]0.02919\,{\frac {{m}^{3}}{s}}[/tex]

Other information that is required:
  • Venturi upstream diameter D1: 10e-3 m
  • Venturi downstream diameter D2: 5e-3 m
  • Density of water rho: 1000kg/m^3

Substituting all of that information into the formula gives us a pressure difference of 1.035716981*10^9 Pa (which looks huge).

Assuming that my suction cup has a 15mm radius, in order to work out the suction force I use:

[tex]F=PA[/tex]

This gives me a suction force of 732105N!

This seems extremely high to me, which makes me think that I have misunderstood the principle. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

--Amr

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Partha Pratim Panja
Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts?

Hello Amr,

Thank you for sharing your calculations and concerns about using the Venturi effect to create suction in a water pipe. It seems like you have a good understanding of the principle and have done a thorough job in your calculations. However, I can understand why the results may seem confusing or too high.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the formula you have used is correct and is commonly used to calculate the pressure difference created by a Venturi. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes an ideal, frictionless flow. In real-life situations, there will always be some loss of energy due to friction and other factors, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, the formula does not take into account the shape and size of the suction cup, which can also affect the actual suction force produced.

Furthermore, the pressure difference calculated using the formula is the maximum possible pressure difference that can be created by a Venturi. In reality, the actual pressure difference will be lower due to energy losses. This could explain why your calculated suction force seems too high.

I would suggest conducting some experiments to test the effectiveness of using a Venturi to create suction in a water pipe. This will give you a more accurate understanding of the results and help you make any necessary adjustments to your calculations.

I hope this helps clarify your concerns. Keep up the good work in your research!

Related to Calculating the suction force produced by a Venturi

What is a Venturi?

A Venturi is a device that consists of a tapered tube with a narrow throat in the middle. It is used to create a pressure difference, which leads to the creation of a suction force.

What is suction force?

Suction force is the force that is created when there is a difference in pressure between two points. In the case of a Venturi, the pressure difference is created by the narrowing of the tube, which causes the fluid to speed up and create a lower pressure at the throat of the Venturi.

How is the suction force calculated?

The suction force produced by a Venturi can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the density and velocity of the fluid at different points along the Venturi. The equation is F = ρ * A * (V2 - V1), where ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the Venturi, and V2 and V1 are the velocities at the throat and inlet of the Venturi, respectively.

What factors affect the suction force produced by a Venturi?

The suction force produced by a Venturi is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the Venturi, the velocity of the fluid, and the density of the fluid. Additionally, the presence of any obstacles or changes in the flow of the fluid can also affect the suction force.

What are some practical applications of calculating the suction force produced by a Venturi?

Venturis are commonly used in various industries, such as in water treatment plants, chemical processing, and in medical devices. Calculating the suction force produced by a Venturi is important in designing and optimizing these systems to ensure efficient and effective operation.