Calculating the strain in three different ways - experimental error?

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment where a strain gauge was used to obtain the strain of a channel section beam in bending. Along with the strain gauge readings, the deflections were also used to calculate the strain in two other ways. While the strain calculated from deflections and experimental stiffness were similar, there was a greater error when compared to the strain gauge readings. The person conducting the experiment ensured it was done correctly and is wondering why there is a discrepancy between the experimental and theoretical results. They also mentioned the possibility of calculating the strain in the wrong direction as a potential cause.
Cottontails
I've recently done an experiment where I've obtained the strain of a channel section beam in bending. I used a strain gauge to get the strain from the midspan and also used dial gauges to get the deflections of the beam under different loading conditions.

Along with the readings I've obtained from the strain gauge, I have also used the deflections to calculate the strain in two other ways. I've done this through the deflections (curvature) and the experimental stiffness. The strain for deflections and experimental stiffness are virtually alike (highest error is 10%) however, in comparison to the strain gauge readings, there is a greater error (highest error ir around 30%).

I ensured that I performed the experiment correctly and given my raw results, they do seem correct. So, I'm wondering why do the experimental and theoretical results vary so much?

Engineering news on Phys.org
uhm, I can't put my finger on it but have you calculated the strain in the same direction in which the strain gauge is oriented?

Related to Calculating the strain in three different ways - experimental error?

What is strain and how is it calculated?

Strain is a measure of how much a material is deformed or stretched under stress. It is calculated by dividing the change in length or displacement of a material by its original length or displacement.

What are the three different ways to calculate strain?

The three different ways to calculate strain are engineering strain, true strain, and logarithmic strain. Engineering strain is calculated by dividing the change in length by the original length. True strain takes into account the change in cross-sectional area of the material and is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of final and initial lengths. Logarithmic strain is similar to true strain but uses the base 10 logarithm instead.

How do experimental errors affect the calculation of strain?

Experimental errors can affect the calculation of strain by introducing inaccuracies in the measurements of length or displacement. These errors can arise from various sources such as human error, equipment limitations, and environmental factors. This can lead to discrepancies in the calculated strain values.

How can experimental errors be minimized in strain calculations?

To minimize experimental errors in strain calculations, it is important to use appropriate and calibrated equipment, carefully measure the dimensions of the material, and repeat the experiment multiple times to obtain an average value. It is also important to consider and account for any external factors that may affect the measurements.

What are some potential sources of error in strain calculations?

Some potential sources of error in strain calculations include incorrect measurements of length or displacement, variations in material properties, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. Improper handling of equipment or materials can also introduce errors in strain calculations.