Calculating the stopping distance of a car sliding down an incline.

In summary, the problem involves calculating the stopping distance of a car traveling at 22 m/s on level ground and on an incline with a 7.8° angle. Using the equation v^2 + v(i) + 2a (delta x), the acceleration can be found for both cases. However, the presence of kinetic friction complicates the calculation for the incline case. Drawing a free body diagram and applying Newton's laws can help solve for the kinetic friction coefficient and the new acceleration along the incline. From there, the stopping distance can be calculated for the incline case.
waqaszeb

Homework Statement

When a car is traveling at 22 m/s on level ground, the stopping distance is found to be 22 m. This distance is measured by pushing hard on the brakes so that the wheels skid on the pavement. The same car is driving at the same speed down an incline that makes an angle of 7.8° with the horizontal direction. What is the stopping distance now, as measured along the incline?

Homework Equations

v^2 + v(i) + 2a (delta x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my weak line of reasoning: I used the above equation to find the acceleration since the stopping distance for the first case is known. Then I calculated a(net) for that same acceleration for the second case because I assumed that when skidding down an incline the acceleration is basically the same as when there is no incline except this time is an cos and sin component. Then I plugged back the new acceleration into the same equation to get delta x (stopping distance) for the incline. I think I got this wrong because there is kinetic friction involved in this problem. I just can't seem to calculated the forces associated with F(k) due to the limited amount of information given.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the level road case, since you know the acceleration, you can determine the kinetic friction coefficient using Newton 2 after drawing your free body diagram. Always draw free body diagrams to identify forces acting and apply Newton's laws.

Now draw the FBD for the car on the incline, and solve for the new a along the incline. And then solve for the distance.

Related to Calculating the stopping distance of a car sliding down an incline.

1. What factors affect the stopping distance of a car on an incline?

The main factors that affect the stopping distance of a car on an incline are the incline angle, the weight and speed of the car, the road conditions, and the braking force applied by the driver.

2. How do you calculate the stopping distance of a car on an incline?

The stopping distance of a car on an incline can be calculated using the formula: stopping distance = (initial velocity^2)/(2*friction*gravity*sin(incline angle)), where friction is the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

3. Does the weight of the car affect the stopping distance on an incline?

Yes, the weight of the car can affect the stopping distance on an incline. A heavier car will have more momentum and will require more force to stop it, resulting in a longer stopping distance.

4. How does the road condition affect the stopping distance on an incline?

The road condition can have a significant impact on the stopping distance on an incline. A slippery or wet road surface can decrease the friction between the tires and the road, resulting in a longer stopping distance. On the other hand, a dry and rough road surface can increase the friction, allowing the car to stop in a shorter distance.

5. Can the incline angle of the road affect the stopping distance of a car?

Yes, the incline angle of the road can affect the stopping distance of a car. A steeper incline will increase the gravitational force pulling the car down, resulting in a longer stopping distance. On the other hand, a less steep incline will have a smaller impact on the stopping distance.