Calculating the spring constant involving energy

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the spring force constant K for a dropped ball compressing a spring. The correct equation to use is PE=1/2kx^2 and the mistake in the initial attempt was setting an energy term equal to a force term. After correcting the equation and being careful with unit conversions, the correct value for K was obtained.
rbailey5

Homework Statement

A 142 g ball is dropped from a height of 62.2 cm above a spring of negligible mass. The ball compresses the spring to a maximum displacement of 4.35501 cm. acceleration due to gravity is 9.8. Calculate the the spring force constant K.

Homework Equations

Hooke's law: F=-kx and the potential energy of the spring is given by mg(h+x) because total displacement involves the compression distance x as well as the height of the ball

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got mg(h+x)=-kx,
-mg(h+x)/x=k
(-.142*9.8*(.622+.435501))/.435501=k but I keep getting the wrong answer. What am I doing wrong am I supposed to use PE=1/2kx^2 instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
rbailey5 said:
So I got mg(h+x)=-kx,
You can't set an energy term equal to a force term.
What am I doing wrong am I supposed to use PE=1/2kx^2 instead?
Yes.

ok so you get -(mg(h+x)*2)/x^2=k,

-(2*.142*9.8*(.622+.435501)/.435501^2=k

rbailey5 said:
ok so you get -(mg(h+x)*2)/x^2=k,

-(2*.142*9.8*(.622+.435501)/.435501^2=k
Get rid of that minus sign. And be careful when converting cm to m: 4.35 cm = 0.0435 m.

sweet thanks!

Related to Calculating the spring constant involving energy

What is the formula for calculating the spring constant?

The formula for calculating the spring constant is k = F / x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the displacement of the spring.

How do I measure the force and displacement for calculating the spring constant?

The force can be measured using a force gauge or scale, while the displacement can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. It is important to make sure that the force and displacement are measured in the same units (e.g. Newtons and meters).

What is the unit for spring constant?

The unit for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the properties of the spring (such as its material and length), as well as the amount of force and displacement applied to the spring.

Why is calculating the spring constant important?

Calculating the spring constant allows scientists to understand the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. This information can be used to design and analyze various mechanical systems, such as springs in car suspensions and shock absorbers.