Calculating the saturation magnetic moment (Condensed Matter)

In summary, the conversation discusses using experimental data to show a Lande g factor of 2 for each ion by calculating the saturation magnetic moment. It is determined that the gradient is not needed and the y-axis can be used to find the saturation point, which is equal to Jg. This has implications for the element Cr, as its saturation magnetic moment can be determined using this method.
rwooduk
Show that the experimental data are consistent with a Lande g factor of 2 for each of the ions by calculating the saturation magnetic moment. Explain what this means for Cr.

I've calculated J using Hunds rules and have the equation M = gμJn, where M is the saturation magnetic moment. BUT what do I use for n? I'm only given the number of electrons in a shell for each ion. Also would you think it wants me to determine g OR use a g value of 2 to determine M?

any pointers REALLY appreciated on this, the exam is fast approaching.

thanks.

Attachments

• fff.JPG
    fff.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
it's okay, got it! the questions axis is M/Nu vs B/T, i can rearrange to find g

edit no i can't because the gradient isn't given in the question

edit don't need the gradient, the y-axis is M/Nu therefor just read where it saturates and put equal to Jg

done

Last edited:

Related to Calculating the saturation magnetic moment (Condensed Matter)

1. What is the saturation magnetic moment?

The saturation magnetic moment is the maximum possible magnetic moment that a material can attain when all its magnetic domains are aligned in the same direction.

2. How is the saturation magnetic moment calculated?

The saturation magnetic moment can be calculated using the formula: M = Nμ, where M is the magnetic moment, N is the number of magnetic moments per unit volume, and μ is the magnetic moment per particle.

3. What factors influence the saturation magnetic moment?

The saturation magnetic moment is influenced by the magnetic moment of individual particles, the number of magnetic moments per unit volume, and the alignment of magnetic domains within the material.

4. How is the saturation magnetic moment measured?

The saturation magnetic moment can be measured using techniques such as vibrating sample magnetometry, SQUID magnetometry, and magnetic force microscopy.

5. Why is calculating the saturation magnetic moment important?

The saturation magnetic moment is an important parameter in understanding the magnetic properties of a material, which can have implications in various fields such as electronics, data storage, and medical imaging.