Calculating the S-matrix with Casimir's Trick: A QED/QFT Approach

• Thread starter sean_mp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
Best of luck!In summary, the conversation on the forum is discussing the use of Casimir's trick in calculating the S-matrix in QED/QFT. The forum user is having trouble with a slight variation in their problem, but it is shown that the expression in question is equivalent to the previous one. Other techniques such as the Dirac equation or Fierz identities are suggested for simplification.
sean_mp

Homework Statement

There's a similar discussion on the forum at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=162812, but I'm not sure it's correct, and it doesn't entirely apply to my problem.

From QED/QFT, we use Casimir's trick when calculating the S-matrix to find
[tex] \sum_{s=1}^2u^{(s)}_{ \alpha}( \mathbf{p}) \bar u^{(s)}_{ \beta}( \mathbf{p}) = \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p+m}{2m} \bigg)_{ \alpha \beta} [/tex]
[tex]\begin{multline} \frac{1}{2} \sum_s \sum_{s'} \lvert \bar u' \gamma_4 u \lvert^2= \frac{1}{2} \sum_s \sum_{s'} \bar u^{(s)}_{ \delta}( \mathbf{p}) ( \gamma_4)_{ \delta \gamma} u^{(s')}_{ \gamma}( \mathbf{p}') \bar u^{(s')}_{ \beta}( \mathbf{p}') ( \gamma_4)_{ \beta \alpha} u^{(s)}_{ \alpha}( \mathbf{p})
\\~ = \frac{1}{2}( \gamma_4)_{ \delta \gamma} \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p+m}{2m} \bigg)_{ \gamma \beta}( \gamma_4)_{ \beta \alpha} \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p+m}{2m} \bigg)_{ \alpha \delta}= \frac{1}{2} \text{Tr} \bigg[ \gamma_4 \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p' +m}{2m} \bigg) \gamma_4 \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p -m}{2m} \bigg) \bigg]\end{multline}[/tex]

I'm using old notation, so in most modern texts you would probably do something more aligned with Griffiths, http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/CasimirTrick.html.

My problem involves a slight variation, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Instead of
[tex] \lvert \bar u' \gamma_4 u \lvert , [/tex]
I've reached a point where I'm stuck with
[tex] \lvert \bar u' u \lvert [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I still have
[tex] \sum_{s=1}^2u^{(s)}_{ \alpha}( \mathbf{p}) \bar u^{(s)}_{ \beta}( \mathbf{p}) = \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p+m}{2m} \bigg)_{ \alpha \beta} [/tex]
But my sticking point is
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \sum_s \sum_{s'} \lvert \bar u' u \lvert^2= \frac{1}{2} \sum_s \sum_{s'} \bar u^{(s)}_{ \delta}( \mathbf{p}) u^{(s')}_{ \gamma}( \mathbf{p}') \bar u^{(s')}_{ \beta}( \mathbf{p}') u^{(s)}_{ \alpha}( \mathbf{p})= \frac{1}{2} \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p+m}{2m} \bigg)_{ \gamma \beta} \bigg( \frac{-i \gamma \cdot p+m}{2m} \bigg)_{ \alpha \delta}[/tex]

The sad thing is that I think my situation is actually easier to deal with. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your confusion with the notation and the slight variation in your problem. However, I believe I can provide some insight to help you solve it.

Firstly, it is important to note that the expression in question is actually the same as before, just with a different notation. The notation \lvert \bar u' u \lvert is equivalent to \lvert \bar u' \gamma_4 u \lvert, as the gamma matrices are just a representation of the spinor space. Therefore, you can use the same approach as before and apply the Casimir's trick to simplify the expression.

Secondly, the Casimir's trick is a useful tool for simplifying expressions involving spinors, but it is not the only method. If you are still stuck, I suggest looking into other techniques such as using the Dirac equation or the Fierz identities. These may provide a different perspective and help you understand the problem better.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations. Don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance if needed.

Related to Calculating the S-matrix with Casimir's Trick: A QED/QFT Approach

1. What is Casimir's trick and how does it work?

Casimir's trick, also known as the Casimir effect, is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two uncharged, parallel plates placed in a vacuum experience an attractive force. This force is caused by the fluctuations of electromagnetic fields in the vacuum, which create a difference in pressure between the plates. The closer the plates are, the stronger the force becomes.

2. Who discovered Casimir's trick?

Casimir's trick was first proposed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir in 1948. He was studying the effects of quantum mechanics on the behavior of electromagnetic fields in a vacuum when he came up with the idea of the attractive force between uncharged plates.

3. What is the practical application of Casimir's trick?

Casimir's trick has several potential applications in nanotechnology, such as creating nanoscale motors and switches. It can also be used to improve the precision of atomic force microscopes and to develop new types of sensors and actuators.

4. Is Casimir's trick a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

Casimir's trick is a real and well-documented phenomenon. It has been observed and measured in various experiments, providing evidence for the existence of quantum fluctuations in a vacuum. However, it is still being studied and researched to fully understand its implications.

5. Can Casimir's trick be used to create free energy?

No, Casimir's trick cannot be used to create free energy. While it may seem like the plates are being pulled together without any external energy or force, the energy required to move the plates closer together is actually taken from the vacuum fluctuations. This means that no energy is truly being created or destroyed in the process.