Calculating the RMS Value of Sinewave Voltage

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding the back emf of a generator when it is running as a motor. The person is struggling to get the correct answer and is seeking help. They mention using an equation involving the number of turns, area, magnetic field, and frequency to calculate the emf. The expert suggests trying to find the rms value instead of the maximum value. However, the person is unsure about how to do this and asks for clarification. The expert explains that there is no concept of RMS speed and suggests using the peak, peak-to-peak, or RMS value for a sine wave voltage.
Vladi

Homework Statement

I keep telling myself that this problem should be easy, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Any help is appreciated.
A generator has an armature with 500 turns, which cut a flux of 8.00 mWb during each rotation. Compute the back emf it develops when it runs as a motor at 1500 rpm.

Homework Equations

emf= 2pi*(N)(A)(B)(f)*cos(2pi)
Flux=B*A

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the best I could come up with.
33.17.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found the maximum value. Try finding the rms value.

kuruman said:
You have found the maximum value. Try finding the rms value.

If the rms speed is calculated with the following equation: Vrms=Vmax/sqrt(2), does that mean I must plug in the rms speed within the equation? I will give it a shot. Also, how do you know I should be calculating for the rms value? Thank your for your time. I meant to say rms frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vladi said:

If the rms speed is calculated with the following equation: Vrms=Vmax/sqrt(2), does that mean I must plug in the rms speed within the equation? I will give it a shot. Also, how do you know I should be calculating for the rms value? Thank your for your time. I meant to say rms frequency.

No, there is no such thing as RMS speed. A sinewave voltage can be specified by its peak value, its peak-to-peak value, or its RMS value. Does one of these agree with the textbook answer?

Related to Calculating the RMS Value of Sinewave Voltage

What is back EMF?

Back EMF, also known as counter-electromotive force, is a phenomenon that occurs in electrical systems when the magnetic field created by the flow of current through a coil of wire induces an opposing voltage in that same coil.

Why is back EMF important to compute?

Computing back EMF is important in many applications, including motors and generators, as it helps to understand and optimize the efficiency and performance of these systems. Back EMF can also cause harmful voltage spikes and must be managed in electronic circuits.

How do you compute back EMF?

To compute back EMF, you need to know the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the rate of change of the magnetic field. You can then use Faraday's law of induction to calculate the back EMF.

What factors influence the magnitude of back EMF?

The magnitude of back EMF is influenced by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the resistance of the coil. These factors can be adjusted to control the magnitude of back EMF in a system.

What are the practical applications of back EMF?

Back EMF has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, where it helps to control the speed and torque of the motor. It is also used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. Back EMF can also be used to regulate voltage and protect electronic circuits from damage.