Calculating the resultant electric field

In summary, the calculations show that the resultant field is a line with a magnitude equal to the charge density times the radius of the wire.
diredragon

Homework Statement

In the picture below it is asked that i calculate the resultant electric field if the linear charge density is known.

Calculate the resultant electric field of a charged semicircle wire (positioned as in the picture) at some point M on the Z axis if the linear charge density of the wire is known ( wire is thought to be infinetly thin. )
IMG_1636.JPG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I calculated the projections but the part ( which i circled ) is the solution from the book. That has to be wrong right? When we replace the linear charge density expression the π is squared not lost?[Mentor note: Added OP's text description of the problem statement, moved the image to be inside the problem statement section.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide a text description of the problem statement please? Helpers shouldn't have to decipher your math to understand the layout of the charge distribution under consideration.

Update: I massaged the problem statement to include the description provided by the OP.

Last edited:
Likes Simon Bridge
gneill said:
Can you provide a text description of the problem statement please? Helpers shouldn't have to decipher your math to understand the layout of the charge distribution under consideration.
Ok sorry xD...Calculate the resultant electric field of a charged semicircle wire (positioned as in the picture) at some point M on the Z axis if the linear charge density of the wire is known ( wire is thought to be infinetly thin. )

Looks like a circular line of total charge ##Q##... radius ##a## ... so charge density ##\lambda = Q/2\pi a##
[edit - no it is a semi-circle ... then charge density is ##Q/\pi a## - you wrote the other]
The task is to find the field on the z axis... is this correct?
However, you spend a lot of time apparently looking for ##E_x##
[edit: explains the time to find the x component]

See example:
http://www.phys.uri.edu/gerhard/PHY204/tsl329.pdf

Related to Calculating the resultant electric field

What is the formula for calculating the resultant electric field?

The formula for calculating the resultant electric field is given by the vector sum of all individual electric fields: E = E1 + E2 + ... + En, where E1, E2, etc. are the individual electric fields.

How do I determine the direction of the resultant electric field?

The direction of the resultant electric field is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields. If the individual electric fields are all pointing in the same direction, the resultant electric field will also be in that direction. If the individual electric fields are pointing in different directions, the resultant electric field will be the vector sum of these directions.

Can the magnitude of the resultant electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the resultant electric field can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the resultant electric field is opposite to the direction of the individual electric fields. However, the magnitude of the electric field is always a positive value.

What is the unit of measurement for the resultant electric field?

The unit of measurement for the resultant electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit is equivalent to volts per meter (V/m) in SI units.

How do I calculate the resultant electric field for point charges?

To calculate the resultant electric field for point charges, you can use Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. You can then use the formula E = kQ/r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charges.