Calculating the Pressure at a Reservoir

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation is about struggling to calculate the pressure at a given point and getting strange answers. The person has tried using the formula Q = vA and Bernoulli's principle but was told their answer was incorrect. They are seeking someone else's view and have been given a correction that the pressure and velocity at P1 should be 0.
tomtomtom1
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: Calculating the Pressure at a Reservoir

Hello all

I am struggling to calculate the pressure at a given point, i am getting all sort of strange answers and i was hoping someone could help.

The question is as follows:-

q1.JPG

From this i have tried to draw a sketch of the problem (not sure if its correct though):-

p1.JPG
I have tried to use the formula Q = vA and Bernoullis principle to calculate the pressure at P2 by doing the following:-
gt.JPG

But i have been told that this is incorrect and the correct answer is -49.5 kN/m^2

Because the pressure and velocity at P1 is 0.

I was wondering if i could get someone elses view?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
P1 should not be situated inside the pipe. It should be situated at the reservoir surface, at its interface with the atmosphere.

tomtomtom1 said:
Summary:: Calculating the Pressure at a Reservoir

Hello all

I am struggling to calculate the pressure at a given point, i am getting all sort of strange answers and i was hoping someone could help.

The question is as follows:-

View attachment 254525

From this i have tried to draw a sketch of the problem (not sure if its correct though):-

View attachment 254526I have tried to use the formula Q = vA and Bernoullis principle to calculate the pressure at P2 by doing the following:-View attachment 254527

But i have been told that this is incorrect and the correct answer is -49.5 kN/m^2

Because the pressure and velocity at P1 is 0.

I was wondering if i could get someone elses view?

Thank you.
How did you manage two alternative answers? The equation is 1st, not 2ne, order!
Also of course see post 2.

Related to Calculating the Pressure at a Reservoir

What is the formula for calculating pressure at a reservoir?

The formula for calculating pressure at a reservoir is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

What units are used to measure pressure at a reservoir?

Pressure at a reservoir is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

How does the height of the fluid column affect the pressure at a reservoir?

The pressure at a reservoir increases as the height of the fluid column increases. This is because the weight of the fluid above exerts a greater force on the bottom of the reservoir.

What factors can affect the accuracy of pressure measurements at a reservoir?

The accuracy of pressure measurements at a reservoir can be affected by factors such as changes in temperature, air pressure, and the presence of impurities in the fluid.

What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure at a reservoir?

Absolute pressure at a reservoir is measured relative to a perfect vacuum, while gauge pressure is measured relative to atmospheric pressure. Absolute pressure is always positive, while gauge pressure can be positive or negative depending on whether it is above or below atmospheric pressure.