Calculating the potential of a charged ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the potential for a charged ring with different radii on the z-axis. The surface charge density and potential equations are provided, and the potential is calculated using the definition of surface charge density and the surface area of the ring. The solution is confirmed to be correct and an alternative method is suggested for simplifying the calculation.
doktorwho
1. Homework Statement
A flat ring, with radii ##b>a## like on the picture is charged with a surface charge density ##ρ_s=ρ_0\frac{b}{r}## where ##ρ_0=const.## Calculate the potential of the ring on the ##z-axis## by taking the reference point to be in the infinity. Picture below.
2. Homework Equations

Since the reference point is in the infinty the expression for the potential is $$dV=\frac{dQ}{4πε_0r}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have some ideas and have tried to solve the problem but need the confirmation if this is correct or not.
It goes like this.
1) First i calculated the expression for the total charge on the ring: note: (##ρ_l## is the linear charge density on one circle of the ring)
##ρ_l=ρ_sdA=ρ_s*rdθ=ρ_s2rπ##
##dQ=ρ_s2rπdr##
2)Then i wrote the expression for the potential: note: ( ##R## is the distance to some point on the ##z-axis##
##dV=\frac{dQ}{4πε_0R}##
##V=\int_{a}^{b}\frac{ρ_srdr}{2ε_0\sqrt{z^2+r^2}}##
What do you think about this? Is it correct? Is there an easier way?[/B]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems correct to me the final expression for V, cause it is in agreement with what I get if I solve Poisson's equation for the given charge density.

Not sure what you doing when you trying to calculate linear charge density but the expression for dQ seems correct to me also.

Likes doktorwho
Try starting with the definition of surface charge density:

[itex]ρ_{s} dS = dQ[/itex]

Where S is surface area. You can rewrite:

[itex]r = \frac{1}{2} (b + a)[/itex]

And since the surface area of the ring is simply the difference between the area of the disk defined by b and the disk defined by a, you can quickly obtain an expression for the surface area of the ring. Then, simplifying the result should yield the correct expression for V.

Hope this helps!

- Strelkov

Last edited:

Related to Calculating the potential of a charged ring

1. How do you calculate the potential of a charged ring?

The potential of a charged ring can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, and R is the distance from the center of the ring to the point where the potential is being measured.

2. What is the unit of measurement for potential?

The unit of measurement for potential is volts (V).

3. Can the potential of a charged ring be negative?

Yes, the potential of a charged ring can be negative if the charge of the ring is negative and the point where the potential is being measured is closer to the ring's center than the distance of the ring's radius.

4. How does the potential of a charged ring change with distance?

The potential of a charged ring decreases as the distance from the center of the ring increases. It follows an inverse relationship, meaning that as the distance doubles, the potential decreases by a factor of 4.

5. Can the potential of a charged ring be affected by external charges?

Yes, the potential of a charged ring can be affected by external charges. The presence of external charges can change the distribution of charge on the ring and therefore alter the potential at different points around the ring.