Calculating the Period of Oscillations of a Homogenous Disc

In summary, a homogenous disc of radius r = 0.20m can oscillate as a physical pendulum around a horizontal axis O located 0.10 m from the center of the mass of the disc. The period of oscillations can be found using the parallel axis theorem and the equation of motion A\ddot{\theta} + B\theta = 0, where A and B are constants. The moment of inertia of the disc can be calculated using the expression I = \frac{3}{4} MR^2, and the torque from gravity can be calculated as mg sin\theta \frac{R}{2}. An assumption must be made about small oscillations in order to solve for the period of oscill
stunner5000pt
A homogenous disc of radius r = 0.20m can oscillate as a physical pendulum around a horizontal acxis O located 0.10 m from teh center of the mass of the disc. The disc is perpendicular to O. Find the period of oscillations of the disc. And graivity is 9.8 m/s^2

Is this anything like a torisonal pendulum??

Parallel axis theorem would say that the moment of inertia of the disc would be [tex] I = \frac{1}{3} MR^2 + M (\frac{R}{2})^2 = \frac{7}{12} MR^2 [/tex] this is the inertia of the disc about this point O.

but what about the torque = I alpha = I (second deriavtive of angular displacement with respect to time)

please help...

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
First thing: double-check your expression for the moment of inertia of a disk.

Your use of the parallel axis theorem is fine.

You should use torque = I alpha. What are the torques on the body? (there's only one; write an expression for it.) You'll need to make an assumption about small oscillations to finish up. Your equation of motion will look like [tex]A\ddot{\theta} + B\theta = 0 [/tex]. You should know how to find the natural frequency of an equation that looks like that, which can be used to solve for the period of oscillation. Let us know if you need more help.

im not quite sure if the moment of inertia expression is corerct because 1/3 MR^2 is only for a disc about an axis through the center perndicular to the disc
I mnot sure how the parallel acis theorem is fine ... i think
[tex] I = \frac{1}{4} MR^2 + M (\frac{R}{2})^2 = \frac{1}{2} MR^2 [/tex]

isnt the other torque gravity??

I.e. [itex] mg sin \theta \frac{R}{2} [/itex] ?? Because the arm is half the radius of the disc?

what kind of assumption... That at an angle of 0 the t = 0 ??

am i totally off?? I am sorry i m not good with pendulums..

The moment of inertia for a homogeneous disk (about the center) is 1/2 MR^2, not 1/3

so to find the moment of inertia about the pivot point:

[tex] I = I_o + MH^2 = \frac{1}{2}MR^2 + M\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^2 = \frac{3}{4}MR^2 [/tex]

unless I've made a mistake...

The other torque is from gravity and your expression is correct for its magnitude.

Now you have to write the equation of motion.

As far as the assumption you have to make: what is [tex]\sin\theta[/tex] approximately equal to when θ is small?

Related to Calculating the Period of Oscillations of a Homogenous Disc

1. What is a period of oscillation?

A period of oscillation refers to the amount of time it takes for an oscillating system to complete one full cycle of motion. This can be seen in various systems, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth or a spring bouncing up and down.

2. How is the period of oscillation calculated?

The period of oscillation is calculated by taking the inverse of the frequency of the oscillating system. In other words, it is equal to the time it takes for one full cycle divided by the number of cycles per second.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is affected by the mass and stiffness of the system. As the mass increases, the period increases, and as the stiffness increases, the period decreases. The amplitude of the oscillation also affects the period, with larger amplitudes resulting in longer periods.

4. How does the period of oscillation relate to the frequency?

The period and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

5. Why is the period of oscillation important?

The period of oscillation is an important concept in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as timekeeping devices like pendulum clocks, and in fields like engineering and physics to analyze and design systems with oscillatory behavior.