Calculating the Net Force on a Model Airplane

In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum of a model airplane and its net force, with a specific focus on the x-component. The solution involves using derivatives to find the x-component of the net force and solving for the time at which it equals zero. The final result is t = 1.5s.
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

A model airplane has a momentum given by
[tex][(0.25 kg . m/s^3)t^2 - (0.75 kg . m/s^2)t]\hat{i}[/tex]
a.) What are the x- , y- , and z- components of the net force on the airplane?
b.) At what time t is the x-component of the net force on the airplane equal to zero?

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F = \frac{d\vec{p}} {dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) i used the derivative to get :
Fx = 2(0.25m/s^3)t - (0.75m/s^2) so the x- component of net force
Fy = 0
Fz = 0
since they are the j hat and k hat where it is not given

b.) when Fx = 0;
0 = 2(0.25m/s^3)t - (0.75m/s^2)
2(0.25m/s^3)t = (0.75m/s^2)
t = 1.5s

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me!

I would like to commend you on your attempt to solve this problem using the equations and principles of physics. Your solution for the x-component of the net force is correct, as the derivative of momentum with respect to time gives the net force. However, I would like to point out that the y- and z-components of the net force cannot be determined without knowing the specific direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the model airplane.

For part b, you have correctly set up the equation to find the time at which the x-component of the net force is equal to zero. However, I would suggest using units in your calculations to ensure that the final answer has the correct units. Additionally, it is important to note that the value of t = 1.5s is the time at which the x-component of the net force is zero, but it does not necessarily mean that the net force is zero at that time. The net force can still have a non-zero value if there are forces acting in the y- and z-directions.

Related to Calculating the Net Force on a Model Airplane

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all individual forces acting on that object.

How do you calculate the net force on a model airplane?

To calculate the net force on a model airplane, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on the airplane. This can be done by using vector addition and taking into account the direction and magnitude of each force.

What are some common forces acting on a model airplane?

Some common forces acting on a model airplane include weight, lift, thrust, and drag. Weight is the force of gravity pulling the airplane down, lift is the force generated by the airplane's wings to keep it in the air, thrust is the force produced by the airplane's engine to move it forward, and drag is the force resisting the airplane's motion through the air.

Why is it important to calculate the net force on a model airplane?

Calculating the net force on a model airplane is important because it allows us to understand and predict how the airplane will move and behave in different situations. By knowing the net force, we can determine if the airplane will accelerate, decelerate, or maintain a constant speed.

What are some factors that can affect the net force on a model airplane?

The net force on a model airplane can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the airplane, the speed and direction of the wind, and the angle of the airplane's wings. The weight and amount of thrust generated by the airplane's engine can also impact the net force.