Calculating the mole of electrons form the current

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of Cl2(g) and NaOH(aq) through electrolysis of an aqueous solution of sodium chloride. It also mentions the calculation of the final pH after one hour of electrolysis with a current of 1.00x104A. The conversation provides a hint on how to calculate the amount of OH- produced and mentions the importance of considering the water volume in the calculation.
bross7
In the chlor-alkali industry, Cl2(g) and NaOH(aq) are produced by electrolysis of an aqueous solution ofo sodium chloride. If a 1000L tank of NaCl(aq) at pH 7 is electrolysed for one hour with a current of 1.00x104A, the final pH will be:

I am completely stuck on how to find the solution to the problem aside from calculating the mole of electrons form the current:

I = C/t
10000 = C/3600s
C = 3600000C

mol e- = 360000000/96490Cmol-1
mol e- = 373.1

After that I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh? You're stuck?
Well, what you want to know is the amount OH- produced, right?

How many electrons do you need to produce one OH- ion?
For this you should look at the reactions occurring at the anode and at the cathode.
At the anode, Cl- is converted to 1/2 Cl2(g) and an electron, at the cathode, water is reduced to hydrogen gas, leaving OH- behind. It is up to you to calculate how many. Hint: look only at the charged species in your cathode reaction and you'll see immediately how many OH- are produced for each electron? (oh, did I say too much? :wink: )

From this you get the pH... if you assume the volume of the water to be unchanged (see below)!

(Maybe we should check if there still are 1000L of water? We are after all consuming water and any decrease of the water volume would of course affect the pH - but given the question I guess we can assume the volume is unchanged. As an exercise, however, and to get an idea of the different proportions, I think you should calculate the amount of water consumed. Hint: how many oxygens are there in water? and in OH-? Given that water is reduced to OH- and H2, how many water molecules correspond to one OH- ion? What is the volume corresponding to this amount, given the density 1 g/ml and molar mass 18 g/mol?)

To calculate the final pH, we need to consider the products of the electrolysis reaction. In the chlor-alkali industry, the electrolysis of sodium chloride results in the production of chlorine gas (Cl2) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The overall reaction can be represented as follows:

2NaCl(aq) + 2H2O(l) → Cl2(g) + 2NaOH(aq) + H2(g)

From this reaction, we can see that for every 2 moles of electrons transferred, 1 mole of chlorine gas and 2 moles of sodium hydroxide are produced. Therefore, the number of moles of electrons calculated earlier (373.1) can be used to determine the number of moles of chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide produced.

Moles of Cl2 = 373.1/2 = 186.55

Moles of NaOH = 2(186.55) = 373.1

To calculate the final pH, we need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid])

In this case, the base is NaOH and the acid is HCl (formed from the dissociation of H2O). The pKa value for HCl is -log(Ka) = -log(1.0x10^-14) = 14.

Therefore, the final pH can be calculated as:

pH = 14 + log(373.1/373.1) = 14 + log(1) = 14

This means that the final pH after the electrolysis will remain at 14, which is a basic solution. This is because for every mole of HCl formed, a mole of NaOH is also produced, resulting in no change in the overall concentration of H+ ions and therefore no change in pH.

Related to Calculating the mole of electrons form the current

What is the formula for calculating the mole of electrons from current?

The formula for calculating the mole of electrons from current is: n = It/F, where n is the number of moles, I is the current in amperes, t is the time in seconds, and F is Faraday's constant (96,485 coulombs/mol).

How do you convert current to moles of electrons?

To convert current to moles of electrons, you can use the formula n = I/F, where I is the current in amperes and F is Faraday's constant. This will give you the number of moles of electrons that are flowing through a given point in a circuit.

Why is it important to calculate the mole of electrons from current?

Calculating the mole of electrons from current is important because it helps us understand the amount of charge that is passing through a circuit and the amount of chemical reactions that are occurring. This can be useful in various scientific fields, such as electrochemistry, where the number of moles of electrons can determine the amount of product produced in a reaction.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the mole of electrons from current?

Some real-life applications of calculating the mole of electrons from current include determining the amount of charge used in batteries and other electrochemical reactions, measuring the efficiency of electrical devices, and understanding the processes involved in corrosion and other chemical reactions.

Are there any limitations to calculating the mole of electrons from current?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating the mole of electrons from current. This calculation assumes that the current is constant and that there are no other factors affecting the flow of electrons, such as resistance or changes in temperature. Additionally, this calculation only applies to direct current (DC) circuits and may not be accurate for alternating current (AC) circuits.