Calculating the latitude/longitude from known distance

In summary, to calculate the latitude or longitude of a point using the 'flat earth' assumption, you would need to know the distance traveled north and east, as well as the azimuth. You can approximate the change in latitude and longitude using the line element of spherical coordinates.
Ben Arnold
For a small distance (in the range of 10's of metres) how can I calculate the latitude/longitude of a point if I know the distance in ΔN and ΔE from a known latitude/longitude using the 'flat earth' assumption?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What are ΔN and ΔE?

For the latitude is easier. One minute is approximately one nautical mile, 1852 m. So your displacement of 10m N (let's say) will corespond to 10/1852 minutes change in latitude. The change in longitude is trickier. It depends on the latitude. One minute of longitude is approximately one nautical mile along the equator but decreases as you approach the pole. Still not too hard a problem if you draw a diagram.

What is the flat Earth assumption? How do you define degrees of latitude and longitude in this assumption?

I'm basically looking at a simple way of calculating the latitude and longitude of a point from a known datum point, with distance traveled north and east known (from the azimuth and total distance travelled, using Pythagoras). It will be a relatively small distance so I've read you can use a 'flat earth' assumption? Sorry I'm very new to this.

Can you provide a reference? Where have you read this?

I think all the "flat earth" assumption means in this case is that the triangle you will calculate will be a regular triangle, not one with an arc on one side. A reasonable assumption provided you're not close to the poles and your deltas are small.

Aye, basically what I'm asking is what deltas would correspond to what change in long/lat roughly? I'll dig up the source now.

Then what are these deltas? The distance traveled to North and South? You also mentioned azimuth.

I've got a basic grid set up over an area of roughly 100m x 100m with y direction being north and x direction being east, I'm testing the dead reckoning capabilities of a tracking unit so will have a read out in long/lat from the device after a certain period of time of movement. I plan on measuring the distance traveled in the y (north) and x(East) direction using a laser measuring device from a known datum and compare it with the readout. Using the distance and azimuth I can use basic trig to work out the north and east components, and wondered if there was a way of converting the distances to a new longitude and latitude and comparing it with what the tracking device is telling me.

This link tells you what you need to know. The section on the length of a degree longitude shows you how to work out what it is for any particular latitude. For a small range of distances, such as you want, you can treat the geometry as Cartesian (x,y) with the x scaled according to the angle of lattitude.

Related to Calculating the latitude/longitude from known distance

1. How is the distance between two points calculated on a map?

The distance between two points on a map can be calculated using various methods, such as the Haversine formula or the Vincenty formula. These formulas take into account the curvature of the Earth's surface and use the coordinates of the two points to calculate the distance between them.

2. What is latitude and longitude?

Latitude and longitude are geographic coordinates used to specify the location of a point on the Earth's surface. Latitude measures the distance north or south of the equator, while longitude measures the distance east or west of the prime meridian.

3. How do you calculate latitude and longitude from a known distance?

To calculate the latitude and longitude from a known distance, you would need to have the coordinates of at least one of the points and the distance between the two points. You can then use the Haversine or Vincenty formula to calculate the latitude and longitude of the second point.

4. Are there any tools or software available to help with calculating latitude and longitude?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can help with calculating latitude and longitude from a known distance. These include online calculators, mapping software, and programming libraries that can perform the necessary calculations.

5. Can latitude and longitude be calculated accurately?

Yes, latitude and longitude can be calculated accurately using the appropriate formulas and precise coordinates. However, factors like the Earth's curvature and measurement errors can affect the accuracy of the calculations.