Calculating the Ka from pH and initial concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the percent ionization and Ka value for a 0.0200 mol/L acid solution with a pH of 2.347. The hydronium ion concentration is calculated first, followed by the percent ionization using the concentration. However, the accuracy of the resulting value is questioned, and the expression for Ka is provided with a suggested solution for finding the correct value. The conversation also discusses the possibility of an error in the calculator computation and suggests manually computing the expression for a more accurate result.
maceng7

Homework Statement

A 0.0200 mol/L acid solution has a pH of 2.347. Calculate the percent ionization of this acid. Calculate the Ka of this acid

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the hydronium ion concentration: 10^-pH = 10^-2.347 = 4.5*10^-3

I then used this concentration to calculate the percent ionization: 0.0200 / 4.5*10^-3 = 22.5%

Can anyone confirm this answer. Now the second part of the question asks for the Ka. My prof said that if you got 1.3*10^-3 as the Ka value it is wrong. I keep getting this value and it makes no sense why it would be anything other than this value:

Since the ratio in the balanced chemical equation is 1:1 , the equilibrium expression is:
Ka = (4.5*10^-3)(4.5*10^-3) / (0.0200 - 4.5*10^-3)

solving for x I get 1.3*10^-3, however this isn't suppose to be the right answer.. can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong or maybe my prof is mistaken? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Ka value is wrong simply because you miscomputed your numeric expression. The numeric expression seems good; Try recomputing and you will, or should find a much smaller Ka value.

I don't know I've put it into my calculator numerous times and I get the same value,

You are incorrectly handling this computation on the calculator. Your expression seems to be written well and appears credible, so as a check, try doing the computation the old fashioned, manual way. You SHOULD find something about ?.?? x 10-6

maceng7 said:
I first calculated the hydronium ion concentration: 10^-pH = 10^-2.347 = 4.5*10^-3

OK

I then used this concentration to calculate the percent ionization: 0.0200 / 4.5*10^-3 = 22.5%

Can anyone confirm this answer.

No.

[tex]\frac {0.0200} {4.5\times 10^{-3}} = 4.44[/tex]

Since the ratio in the balanced chemical equation is 1:1 , the equilibrium expression is:
Ka = (4.5*10^-3)(4.5*10^-3) / (0.0200 - 4.5*10^-3)

solving for x I get 1.3*10^-3

Expression looks OK to me, but first - there is no x to solve for, second - as symbolipoint stated, it evaluates to something completely different.

Related to Calculating the Ka from pH and initial concentration

1. What is the Ka value and how is it related to pH and initial concentration?

The Ka value, also known as the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid. It is related to pH and initial concentration through the equation Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions, [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base of the acid, and [HA] is the concentration of the acid.

2. How do you calculate the Ka from the pH and initial concentration?

To calculate the Ka value from the pH and initial concentration, you can rearrange the Ka equation to solve for Ka. The resulting equation is Ka = 10^(-pH) * [A-]/[HA]. Simply plug in the values for pH, [A-], and [HA] to solve for Ka.

3. What is the significance of determining the Ka value?

Determining the Ka value allows us to understand the strength of an acid and predict its behavior in different situations. It can also help us compare the strengths of different acids and determine the most effective acid for a particular reaction.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the Ka value from pH and initial concentration?

Yes, there are a few limitations to this method. It assumes that the acid is monoprotic (only donates one proton) and that there are no other factors affecting the equilibrium of the acid. It also does not take into account the activity coefficients of the acid and its conjugate base, which can vary depending on the solution conditions.

5. How can the accuracy of the Ka calculation be improved?

To improve the accuracy of the Ka calculation, you can use more precise measurements of pH and initial concentration. It can also be helpful to perform the calculation at multiple pH values and take an average to account for any slight variations. Additionally, using a more comprehensive equation that takes into account activity coefficients can provide a more accurate result.