Calculating the Initial Kinetic Energy & Momentum of a Truck

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a truck initially moving at velocity v and the driver pressing the brake to stop the truck. The brake applies a constant force F, causing the truck to roll a distance x before coming to a stop in time t. The question then asks for expressions equal to the initial kinetic energy and momentum of the truck, with the correct answers being Fx and -Ft, respectively. The conversation also includes a discussion on how the velocity is not constant and the use of dimensional analysis to eliminate incorrect answer choices.
postfan

Homework Statement

A truck is initially moving at velocity v. The driver presses the brake in order to slow the truck to a stop. The
brake applies a constant force F to the truck. The truck rolls a distance x before coming to a stop, and the time
it takes to stop is t.
8. Which of the following expressions is equal the initial kinetic energy of the truck (i.e. the kinetic energy before the driver starts braking)?
(A) F x
(B) F vt
(C) F xt
(D) F t
(E) Both (a) and (b) are correct
9. Which of the following expressions is equal the initial momentum of the truck (i.e. the momentum before the driver starts braking)?
(A) F x
(B) F t/2
(C) F xt
(D) 2F t
(E) 2F x/v

Homework Equations

W = delta K
p= m*v
F*t = delta p

The Attempt at a Solution

For 8 I used the work energy theorem to get the kinetic energy to equal Fx. And since x=vt, I picked (E) but apparently (A) is right. Why doesn't x=vt apply?
For 9 I used the fact that force* time = delta p, to get that p=F*t, and that's where I get stuck. Any thoughts on how to continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
The final velocity of the truck is 0 . So, the final momentum is also 0 . And ##\Delta p = p_{final} - p_{initial} = 0 - p_{initial} = - p_{initial}## . Here, the sign is negative because the force is applied opposite to the direction of the initial velocity of the truck.
And look, ##x = (\frac{v_{initial} + v_{final}}{2}) \cdot t ##

Last edited:
postfan said:
For 8 ... Why doesn't x=vt apply?
The velocity is not constant.

postfan said:
For 9 I used the fact that force* time = delta p, to get that p=F*t, and that's where I get stuck. Any thoughts on how to continue?
Which answers can you eliminate?

Oh ok I get 8 then, basically x=vt doesn't apply when accelerating. OK.
As for 9 I can eliminate answers A and C from dimensional analysis.

postfan said:
Oh ok I get 8 then, basically x=vt doesn't apply when accelerating.
8.(B) would be correct if v was the average velocity instead of the initial velocity.

postfan said:
As for 9 I can eliminate answers A and C from dimensional analysis.
Ok good. You said you think p=F*t, so 9.(B) and 9.(D) don't agree.
What about 9.(E), that seems like a strange one, what are your thoughts on the meaning of that answer?

I would have said that they're using t=x/v but since we have established that only works for average velocity, I don't really know.

postfan said:
I would have said that they're using t=x/v but since we have established that only works for average velocity, I don't really know.
Right, but we know that the force is constant. Can you use that to determine what the average velocity is?

Since there is constant acceleration due to a constant force and the final velocity is 0, isn't the average v just equal to v_initial/2?

Good. So you said t=x/vavg and you said vavg=vi/2, then what is x/vi?

It is equal to t/2.

And so 9.(E) is...?

(So many problems at once! :) )

Since p=Ft and x/v_i=t/2 then t equals 2x/v_i and the answer is just p=2x/v_i. But doesn't (E) refer to the initial velocity and not the average velocity?

postfan said:
Since p=Ft and x/v_i=t/2 then t equals 2x/v_i and the answer is just p=2x/v_i
I think you mean p=F*(2x/vi) ?

postfan said:
But doesn't (E) refer to the initial velocity and not the average velocity?
Right. Aren't we referring to the initial velocity when we say vi?

Ok yes to both counts, just out of curiosity if Ft was an answer choice would that be right?

Yes Ft would also be right, but I guess they didn't want to make it too easy :)
(At least they didn't give an option of "none of the above," that would probably trick a number of students!)

2Fvi/x is just a strange way of writing Ft

Ok well the Physics Olympiad (where I got the questions) loves to make things difficult. Anyways, thanks for your help!

Related to Calculating the Initial Kinetic Energy & Momentum of a Truck

1. How do you calculate the initial kinetic energy of a truck?

The initial kinetic energy of a truck can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the truck and v is the initial velocity.

2. Can the initial kinetic energy of a truck be negative?

No, the initial kinetic energy of a truck cannot be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive value, representing the energy of motion.

3. How is momentum related to the initial kinetic energy of a truck?

Momentum is directly proportional to kinetic energy. This means that as the initial kinetic energy of a truck increases, so does its momentum.

4. What units are used to measure the initial kinetic energy and momentum of a truck?

The initial kinetic energy of a truck is typically measured in joules (J). Momentum can be measured in kilogram meters per second (kg m/s) or in Newton seconds (N s).

5. What factors can affect the initial kinetic energy and momentum of a truck?

The initial kinetic energy and momentum of a truck can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the truck, as well as any external forces acting upon it, such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, changes in the truck's direction or speed can also impact its kinetic energy and momentum.