Calculating the initial charge on an object

In summary, a 0.10kg neutral metal sphere A hangs from a 2.0m long insulating wire. An identical metal sphere B, with charge -q, is brought into contact with sphere A, causing repulsion and settling in a right angle triangle formation. Using the equations Tv = Fg, Th = Fe, and K*Qa*Qb/r^2, the initial charge on B can be calculated. However, there may be an error with the calculator used, as the calculated answer of 4*10^-6 C = q does not match the expected answer of 3.04*10^-5 C. It is possible that the distance between the two spheres after settling was not given,
Quantum Fizzics

Homework Statement

Neutral metal sphere A, of mass 0.10kg hangs from an insulating wire 2.0m long. An identical metal sphere B, with charge -q, is brought into contact with sphere A. The spheres repel and settle(a picture just imagine a right angle triangle with 2 objects A and B at the bottom.) calculate the initial charge on B.

Homework Equations

Tv = Fg
Th = Fe
K*Qa*Qb/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I have done the whole process but I just want to know what I am doing wrong with my calculator( we have done it in class) here was the last part of my solution: 16sin^3*12/9*10^9= q^2. OK so the answer was for this question was 4*10^-6 C = q. But everytime I input this in my calculator the answer becomes 0.000030433 or 3.04*10^-5

Physics news on Phys.org
Did they give you the distance between the two spheres after settling? otherwise your answer would have to be the distance as a function of initial charge

Related to Calculating the initial charge on an object

1. How do you calculate the initial charge on an object?

To calculate the initial charge on an object, you can use the formula Q = Ne, where Q represents the charge, N is the number of particles, and e is the elementary charge. You can also calculate the initial charge by measuring the potential difference between the object and a known reference point.

2. What is the unit of measurement for initial charge?

The unit of measurement for initial charge is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

3. How does the initial charge on an object affect its behavior?

The initial charge on an object determines its interactions with other charged objects. Objects with opposite charges will attract each other, while objects with the same charge will repel each other. The strength of this interaction is determined by the magnitude of the charges.

4. Can an object have an initial charge of zero?

Yes, an object can have an initial charge of zero if it has an equal number of positive and negative charges. This is known as being electrically neutral. However, the object can still become charged through various methods such as rubbing or contact with a charged object.

5. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the initial charge?

The initial charge on an object does not directly depend on the distance between two charged objects. However, the strength of the electric force between two charged objects does decrease as the distance between them increases. This is known as the inverse square law and is described by the formula F = kQ1Q2/r^2, where k is a constant and r is the distance between the two objects.