Calculating the half-life of decays of Radium-224

• Thread starter Demon117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, the problem involves computing the Q values and estimating the half-lives for two possible decay processes of 224Ra. The Q values were found to be 26.4 MeV and 30.5 MeV for the decays 224Ra → 212Pb + 12C and 224Ra → 210Pb + 14C, respectively. The difficulty lies in calculating the barrier height B, which involves the atomic number of the daughter nucleus (Z'), the atomic number of the alpha particle (z), and the nuclear radius of 224Ra (a). The frequency (f) at which the alpha presents itself at the barrier is needed to calculate the half-life using the relationship t_{1/
Demon117

Homework Statement

Problem 1 – Krane 8.7] (a) compute the Q values for the decays 224Ra → 212Pb + 12C and 224Ra → 210Pb + 14C. (b) Estimate the half-lives for these two possible decay processes. 224Ra is a α emitter with a half-life of 3.66 days.

Homework Equations

I am assuming that the entire section 8.4 in Krane (Introduction to Nuclear Physics) on the Theory of [itex]\alpha[/itex] Emission is useful here. This discussion is found on pages 251 - 257.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) is easy. I simply reduced the reactions to their mass excesses and computed the differences between the reactants and products. The results are

224Ra → 212Pb + 12C ====> Q = 26.4 MeV
224Ra → 210Pb + 14C ====> Q = 30.5 MeV

Part (b) is the one I am having trouble with. The 224Ra is known to be an [itex]\alpha[/itex] emitter with a half-life of 3.66 days. What I am having trouble with is the Barrier height B given by

[itex]B = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_{0}}\frac{zZ'e^{2}}{a}[/itex]

I am under the assumption that Z' is for the daughter; which is 212Pb or 12C in the first decay, and 210Pb or 14C in the second decay? Is z for the [itex]\alpha[/itex] particle? And finally, is [itex]a[/itex] the nuclear radius of the 224Ra?

If I can figure out that relationship, then I think I could go through the process and figure out the half-life by the following relationships.

[itex]\lambda=f P[/itex]

where [itex]P = exp(-2 k_{2}(1/2)(b-a))[/itex] and f is the frequency with which the alpha presents itself at the barrier. How does one calculate f?

From there it is just simply [itex]t_{1/2} = \frac{ln(2)}{\lambda}[/itex]. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know its like 5 years into the future, but here is the equation I think you need for half life. I am also stuck on this too so I am replying to bump this and maybe hijack this thread if you are no longer around
half life equation.jpg

image.jpg

Demon117 said:

Homework Statement

Problem 1 – Krane 8.7] (a) compute the Q values for the decays 224Ra → 212Pb + 12C and 224Ra → 210Pb + 14C. (b) Estimate the half-lives for these two possible decay processes. 224Ra is a α emitter with a half-life of 3.66 days.

Homework Equations

I am assuming that the entire section 8.4 in Krane (Introduction to Nuclear Physics) on the Theory of [itex]\alpha[/itex] Emission is useful here. This discussion is found on pages 251 - 257.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) is easy. I simply reduced the reactions to their mass excesses and computed the differences between the reactants and products. The results are

224Ra → 212Pb + 12C ====> Q = 26.4 MeV
224Ra → 210Pb + 14C ====> Q = 30.5 MeV

Part (b) is the one I am having trouble with. The 224Ra is known to be an [itex]\alpha[/itex] emitter with a half-life of 3.66 days. What I am having trouble with is the Barrier height B given by

[itex]B = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_{0}}\frac{zZ'e^{2}}{a}[/itex]

I am under the assumption that Z' is for the daughter; which is 212Pb or 12C in the first decay, and 210Pb or 14C in the second decay? Is z for the [itex]\alpha[/itex] particle? And finally, is [itex]a[/itex] the nuclear radius of the 224Ra?

If I can figure out that relationship, then I think I could go through the process and figure out the half-life by the following relationships.

[itex]\lambda=f P[/itex]

where [itex]P = exp(-2 k_{2}(1/2)(b-a))[/itex] and f is the frequency with which the alpha presents itself at the barrier. How does one calculate f?

From there it is just simply [itex]t_{1/2} = \frac{ln(2)}{\lambda}[/itex]. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi, i just answer you of how to calculate the frequency to measure the half life

ghaith harahsheh said:
Hi, i just answer you of how to calculate the frequency to measure the half life
Welcome to PF.

We don't normally allow posting solutions to homework problems at PF (the student must do the bulk of the work), but since the thread is so old, it's fine at this point. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

We don't normally allow posting solutions to homework problems at PF (the student must do the bulk of the work), but since the thread is so old, it's fine at this point. :smile:
This thread has a looooong half-life. :oldsmile:

• Haha
Likes SammyS and berkeman

Related to Calculating the half-life of decays of Radium-224

1. What is the half-life of Radium-224?

The half-life of Radium-224 is 3.66 days, meaning that it takes 3.66 days for half of the original amount of Radium-224 to decay into other elements.

2. How do you calculate the half-life of Radium-224?

The half-life of Radium-224 can be calculated using the following formula:
t1/2 = ln(2) / λ
Where t1/2 is the half-life, ln(2) is the natural logarithm of 2, and λ is the decay constant of Radium-224.

3. What is the decay constant of Radium-224?

The decay constant of Radium-224 is 0.189 days-1. This constant represents the rate at which Radium-224 decays into other elements.

4. What factors can affect the half-life of Radium-224?

The half-life of Radium-224 can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements. It can also be affected by internal factors such as the energy state of the nucleus and its proximity to the neutron drip line.

5. Why is calculating the half-life of Radium-224 important?

Calculating the half-life of Radium-224 is important for various scientific and practical applications. It can help in understanding the behavior of radioactive elements and their impact on the environment. It is also used in medical treatments and in determining the age of rocks and fossils. Additionally, knowing the half-life of Radium-224 is crucial for safety purposes in handling and disposing of radioactive materials.