Calculating the gravitational accelleration on the surface of a planet

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gravitational acceleration on the surface of the Earth and how it can be derived from the law of universal gravitation. It is mentioned that the Earth's density and rotation also play a role in the variation of gravitational acceleration at different points on the surface.
dimensionless
Why doesn't this force give the gravitational acceleration on the surface of the earth?

[tex]a = G \cdot \frac{m}{r^2}[/tex]

I would think that it could be derived from the law of universal gravitation:

[tex]F = G \cdot \frac{m_1 \cdot m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

Since [tex]F = m_2 a[/tex]

Astronomy news on Phys.org
When you put in the right numbers, the accelaration should come to around 9.8ms^-2.

It does. I get g = 9.79 m/s^2 using your formula and accepted data for the mass and radius of the Earth.

For more accuracy, the fact the density of the Earth is not spherically symmetric has to be taken into account.

It seems I screwed my units up. I had 9.77e6 m/s^2. I should have had 9.77 m/s^2.

New question:

The Earth's radius is larger at the equator that from pole to pole. Does the acceleration due to gravity vary from, say, 9.77 m/s^2 to 9.83 m/s^2?

Yes, and it also varies because the velocity from Earth's rotation is higher at the equator, and 0 at the poles. This adds to the effect.

This is also probably the reason that you don't see g expressed as more digits. If instead of calling it 9.8 you called it 9.81756423, then you'd have to specify where on Earth you were talking about.

Related to Calculating the gravitational accelleration on the surface of a planet

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational acceleration on the surface of a planet?

The formula for calculating the gravitational acceleration on the surface of a planet is g = G x M / r^2, where g is the gravitational acceleration, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet to the object.

2. How is the gravitational acceleration affected by the mass of the planet?

The gravitational acceleration is directly proportional to the mass of the planet. This means that as the mass of the planet increases, the gravitational acceleration also increases.

3. Is the gravitational acceleration the same everywhere on the surface of a planet?

No, the gravitational acceleration can vary slightly depending on the distance from the center of the planet and the distribution of mass within the planet. However, for most practical purposes, it can be considered constant at a given location on the surface of a planet.

4. How does the distance from the center of a planet affect the gravitational acceleration?

The gravitational acceleration decreases as the distance from the center of the planet increases. This is because the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

5. Can the gravitational acceleration on the surface of a planet be negative?

No, the gravitational acceleration on the surface of a planet is always positive. This is because the acceleration due to gravity always acts towards the center of the planet, regardless of the direction in which an object is moving.