Calculating the gauge pressure?

In summary, to calculate the gauge pressure in the lower pipe, you can use the equation of continuity to find the flow speed and then use the formula P1-P2 = (rho)(g)(delta H) + (1/2)(rho)(V2^2) - (1/2)(rho)(V1^2), where P1 is the atmospheric pressure and delta H is the difference in height between the two pipes. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2 and the answer should be in units of Pa.
miamirulz29

Homework Statement

Water flows through a .259m radius pipe at the rate of .125m^3/s. The pressure in the pipe is atmospheric. The pipe slants downhill and feeds into a second pipe with a radius of .190m, positioned .796m lower. What is the gauge pressure in the lower pipe? The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. Answer in the units of Pa.

Homework Equations

A1V1 = A2V2
flow speed = flow rate / area
P1 + [(Rho)(g)(h1)] + [(1/2)(rho)(V1^2)] = P2 + [(Rho)(g)(h2)] + [(1/2)(rho)(V2^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the flow speed gives me V1. Then I can find V2 using the equation of continuity.
Also, because we are looking for gauge pressure, I am look for P1- P2. Therefore:

P1-P2 = [(rho)(g)(delta H)] + [(1/2)(rho)(V2^2)] - [(1/2)(rho)(V1^2)]

Is this correct? Also, do I need to do anything for P1 if that pressure is atmospheric in the pipe? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody? Just tell me if what I am doing is correct.

Related to Calculating the gauge pressure?

1. What is gauge pressure and how is it different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the difference between the absolute pressure and the atmospheric pressure. It is the pressure measured by a pressure gauge and does not take into account the atmospheric pressure. Absolute pressure, on the other hand, includes the atmospheric pressure as well.

2. How do you calculate gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure can be calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure. The formula is: Gauge Pressure = Absolute Pressure - Atmospheric Pressure.

3. What are the units used for gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). Other common units include bar, millibar, and pounds per square foot.

4. What are some common applications of calculating gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, engineering, and aviation. It is also important in everyday tasks such as measuring tire pressure, diving depth, and blood pressure.

5. How does temperature affect gauge pressure?

Temperature can affect gauge pressure by changing the density of the substance being measured. In gases, an increase in temperature will lead to an increase in pressure, while in liquids, an increase in temperature will lead to a decrease in pressure. Therefore, it is important to take temperature into account when calculating gauge pressure.