Calculating the Frequency of a Tuning Fork Using Resonance Tube Method

In summary, the frequency of the tuning fork can be calculated using the formula v = f x lambda, where v is the speed of sound in air, f is the frequency, and lambda is the wavelength. However, the exact value cannot be determined without knowing whether the resonance tube is open or closed.
Shackleford
6. A tuning fork is heard to resonate over a resonance tube when the
air column is 48.5 cm long and again when it is 68.7 cm long. What is
the frequency of the tuning fork if the temperature is 26˚C?

I couldn't figure out how to work this. I thought it mattered if it were in a closed or open pipe, which is not mentioned.

v = 346.6 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org

I had a problem that was similar to this...if I recall correctly, lambda was .5(D2-D1). So lambda is half the distance between resonances.

>_> However, I am not an expert and could very easily be wrong.

Foxhound101 said:
I had a problem that was similar to this...if I recall correctly, lambda was .5(D2-D1). So lambda is half the distance between resonances.

>_> However, I am not an expert and could very easily be wrong.

Don't I have to know if it's open or closed?

lambda = 2 (l2 - l2) - .404 m

v = 346.4 ms^-1

f = 857.4 Hz

First you ll need to get the v-air which is given by: v = (332.5)(squareroot(T/273))
where T is the temperature in Kelvin. After that you know that v = f x lambda, and now i think: Ln+1 - Ln = 1/2 lambda.

Related to Calculating the Frequency of a Tuning Fork Using Resonance Tube Method

1. What is a tuning fork frequency?

A tuning fork frequency is the rate at which a tuning fork vibrates, typically measured in Hertz (Hz). It is determined by the length and shape of the prongs of the tuning fork.

2. How do I calculate the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork can be calculated using the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency in Hz and T is the period in seconds. The period can be measured by timing how long it takes for the tuning fork to complete one full vibration.

3. What is the standard frequency of a tuning fork?

The standard frequency of a tuning fork is 440 Hz, also known as concert pitch. This is the frequency used by musicians to tune their instruments.

4. How can I test the accuracy of a tuning fork frequency?

You can test the accuracy of a tuning fork frequency by using a frequency counter or a smartphone app that measures frequency. Simply hold the tuning fork close to the device and it will display the frequency in Hz.

5. Can the frequency of a tuning fork change over time?

Yes, the frequency of a tuning fork can change over time due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and physical damage. It is important to regularly calibrate and replace tuning forks to ensure accuracy.