Calculating the Force of a Wall on a Wedge

In summary, a block of mass m is sliding down a wedge with an inclination of angle theta next to a wall. There is no friction between the wedge and the block or between the wedge and the horizontal surface. The known forces are mgsin theta for the net forces and mgcos theta for the normal force between the block and the wedge. The force of the wall on the wedge is not mg sin theta, as the wedge is not immobile and is sliding down the plane. The answer is mgcos theta sin theta.
darealprince

Homework Statement

A wedge with an inclination of angle theta rests next to a wall. A block of mass m is sliding down the plane, as shown. There is no friction between the wedge and the block or between the wedge and the horizontal surface. (Intro 1 figure) what is the magnitude of the force of the wall exerts on the wedge?

Homework Equations

I know that the sum of all forces is mg sin theta. and i know that the normal force between the block and wedge is mgcos theta. Please does anyone know the answer

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
the sum of all forces is mg

f net would actually be mgsin theta. I am doing the problem right now on an online program and for that part of the problem it said that i got it right. so those are the knowns, mgsintheta for the net forces and mgcos theta for the normal force between the block and the wedge.

I think it depends on what you are calling 'all' the forces.

the only outside force acting on the system is gravity and gravity doesn't care about thewedge or anything else. it just acts downward

i just rearranged some equations and found that the answer was mgcos@sin@

most problems like this consider the wedge to be immobile. therefore one would normally consider the force to be mg sin theta. in this problem the wedge is not immobile.

Related to Calculating the Force of a Wall on a Wedge

1. How do you calculate the force of a wall on a wedge?

The force of a wall on a wedge can be calculated using the formula F = μ * N, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. What is a wedge and how does it interact with a wall?

A wedge is a simple machine that is shaped like a triangle and can be used to separate two objects or hold them in place. When a wedge is placed against a wall, the wall exerts a force on the wedge, which can be calculated using the formula F = μ * N.

3. How do you determine the coefficient of friction for a wall and a wedge?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments and measuring the force required to move the wedge against the wall at different angles. The average of these values can then be used as the coefficient of friction in the formula F = μ * N.

4. What are some real-life examples of calculating the force of a wall on a wedge?

Some real-life examples include using a wedge to hold a door open against a wall, using a wedge to split wood against a wall, and using a wedge to hold a ladder in place against a wall. In all of these cases, the force of the wall on the wedge must be calculated to ensure stability and safety.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force of a wall on a wedge?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force of a wall on a wedge, such as the material and texture of the wall and wedge, the angle of the wedge, and any external forces acting on the wedge. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the force of a wall on a wedge.