Calculating the force of a vortex or whirlpool

In summary, the conversation discusses a vortex observed in a sink while cleaning vegetables and its similarities to the vortex created in the ocean. The speaker also wonders about the force of a vortex and asks for a layman and technical explanation, as well as a mathematical equation to calculate the force.
Niaboc67
I noticed something interesting in nature yesterday. I was cleaning a sink that was full to the brim with water and once i was done cleaning my vegetables i pulled the plugged which (of course like we have all witnessed) created a vortex between the top of the waters surface and the drain. Which i figure is the same thing that happens in the ocean, yet i may be wrong about that, it seems like the same effect in principle at the very least. I put my finger on the drain which stopped the vortex and wondered how incredible nature is that it can suck ships with this same force and yet i can stop my finger with it. Of course on a much smaller scale. Anyways it got me thinking how would one calculate the force of a vortex like this. One being the simple drain vortex and another being a huge vortex you would see after an earthquake. Is it the amount of water or the size of the hole that makes the force increase or is their other variables I'm missing? Id love a layman explanation to this because i am not a physicist and then id love a technical explanation to this. As well as math equation if possible so that i could calculate the vortex forces myself.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
wow can seriously no one answer this?

Related to Calculating the force of a vortex or whirlpool

1. How is the force of a vortex or whirlpool calculated?

The force of a vortex or whirlpool is calculated using the formula F = ρ x A x v^2, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the area of the vortex, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

2. What factors affect the force of a vortex or whirlpool?

The force of a vortex or whirlpool is affected by the density and velocity of the fluid, the size and shape of the vortex, and the surrounding environment such as obstacles or boundaries.

3. Can the force of a vortex or whirlpool be controlled?

Yes, the force of a vortex or whirlpool can be controlled by changing the velocity of the fluid, altering the shape of the vortex, or introducing obstacles to disrupt its flow.

4. How does the force of a vortex or whirlpool impact its surroundings?

The force of a vortex or whirlpool can cause strong currents and turbulence in the surrounding fluid, potentially leading to erosion or damage to nearby structures or objects.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the force of a vortex or whirlpool?

Yes, understanding the force of a vortex or whirlpool is important in various fields such as fluid dynamics, meteorology, and oceanography. It is also relevant in engineering and design, particularly in the development of turbines and pumps for energy production.