Calculating the Focal Length of a Concave Mirror

In summary, the focal length of the concave mirror can be calculated by using the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f and knowing that the image produced is 0.756 times the size of the object. By substituting the values, the focal length is found to be 0.435 m. However, it is important to check the sign convention used in the calculations to ensure the accuracy of the answer.
itryphysics
concave mirror!

Homework Statement

The real image produced by a concave mirror is found to be 0.756 times the size of the object. If the distance from the mirror to the screen on which the image appears is 0.764 m , what is the focal length of the mirror?

Homework Equations

(a) 1 /do + 1/di = 1/f

(b) image height / object height=m = - di/do

(c) - object height / image height = do / di

The Attempt at a Solution

m= 0.756 = -hi / ho

so to use equation "c"

i inverted --- > -1/0.756
then set it euqal to rest of the equation so --> -1/.756 = do / .764
do= -1.01058 m

then i used equation "a"

(1/-1.01058) + (1/.764) = 1/f and solved for f

Answer was Wrong. Please tell me what I need to do. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

I got the answer 0.435 m. Is it correct? If so check your sign convention.

I would first check the calculations and make sure all units are consistent. It appears that you have used meters for distance, but have not included units for the image and object heights. Also, for equation (c), the negative sign in front of the object height should be included.

Assuming the calculations are correct, the next step would be to consider the focal length equation (a). This equation states that the sum of the inverse of the object distance (do) and the inverse of the image distance (di) is equal to the inverse of the focal length (f). Therefore, if we have values for do and di, we can solve for f.

In this case, we have do = -1.01058 m and di = 0.764 m. Plugging these values into equation (a), we get:

(1/-1.01058) + (1/0.764) = 1/f

Simplifying, we get:

-0.9895 + 1.3099 = 1/f

0.3204 = 1/f

f = 1/0.3204 = 3.121 m

Therefore, the focal length of the concave mirror is approximately 3.121 m.

I would also consider the accuracy and precision of the measurements used in this calculation, and make sure to report the answer with the appropriate number of significant figures. I hope this helps!

Related to Calculating the Focal Length of a Concave Mirror

What is a concave mirror?

A concave mirror is a type of curved mirror that bulges inward, also known as a converging mirror. It is typically used to reflect and focus light rays to create an image.

What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

The main difference between concave and convex mirrors is their shape. A concave mirror curves inward, while a convex mirror curves outward. They also have different uses - concave mirrors can create real or virtual images, while convex mirrors always create virtual images.

How does a concave mirror create an image?

A concave mirror creates an image by reflecting and focusing light rays. When parallel light rays hit a concave mirror, they are reflected and converge at a single point known as the focal point. This creates an inverted, magnified image.

What is the focal point of a concave mirror?

The focal point of a concave mirror is the point where parallel light rays converge after being reflected. It is located halfway between the center of curvature and the vertex of the mirror.

What are some practical applications of concave mirrors?

Concave mirrors have a variety of practical applications, including being used in telescopes, headlights, and makeup mirrors. They are also used in solar power plants to reflect and concentrate sunlight to generate electricity.