Calculating the Flowerpot's Fall Height

In summary, an object falls from a height of 2 meters and the initial velocity is 0. The object is dropped from a height of 6.67 meters and the final velocity is 4.03 meters.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

A flowerpot falls past two meter tall window in ¼ of a second.

Homework Equations

From what height did the flowerpot fall?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your attempt at the solution?

I can calculate the velocity of the pot while this is passing the window.
v = d/t = 2m / (1/4s) = 8 m/s

But how can this help me now?

Do I simply plug the velocity into the formula: h = v^2 / 2g?

Last edited:
Well remember, that only applies for constant velocities. You can use your kinematic equations to see what initial velocity an object must have to travel 2m in .25 seconds under a constant acceleration caused by gravity.

So the proper formula to use in this case would be:

s = ut + at^2 / 2, where u= 8 m/s and t= 1/4 s?

Last edited:
No, the velocity is constantly changing so do not use 8m/s. You know the height of the window and the time it took to go that distance. You can then solve for the initial velocity that the object has when it reaches the window. This question is poorly worded so if you assume the object was simply dropped from a distance above the window, you can determine the distance above the window it was dropped using [tex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x [/tex] where [tex]v_0[/tex] is 0 since we're looking for the distance covered if it was dropped as opposed to thrown downward.

Since the initial velocity is 0, do we plug the 8m/s in place of the v squared, so the equation would be (v)squared= ( 0 ) squared + 2(9.8)x and the final answer should be 3.27m, right??

Last edited:
No, don't use 8m/s anywhere in this problem. You know that:

[tex]\Delta x = v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]. You know the window is 2m, which is your [tex]\Delta x[/tex]. You know the time and the acceleration, so determine the initial velocity the object has when it reaches the top of the window.

With this in mind, you can then use [tex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x [/tex] knowing [tex]v_0[/tex] is 0 at the moment the object is dropped and you know that the final velocity will be your initial velocity from the previous section. With this, you calculate the [tex]\Delta x[/tex] which is simply the length above the window the object was dropped. Add that to the length of the window and you have your answer.

OK, so after plugging the numbers into the given formula, I got the result for
v0= 6.67 m/s.
And putting the v0 for v into the second formula gave me the result x= 2.03 m and adding to this the length of the window, I get the final result which is 4.03 m.
Did I calculate correct this time?

The velocity when it reaches the window is 6.7m/s, yes. However, I calculated the height above the window being 2.3, not 2.03. Recheck your calculation, sounds like you've about got it.

Thank for your help! It's all around us and it happens every day, but it is still so confusing when it's put into a real physical problem with numbers and formulas!

Related to Calculating the Flowerpot's Fall Height

1. How do I calculate the fall height of a flowerpot?

To calculate the fall height of a flowerpot, you will need to use the equation: Fall height = (initial velocity)^2 / (2 x acceleration due to gravity). You will need to know the initial velocity of the flowerpot and the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

2. Can I use this equation for any type of flowerpot?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of flowerpot as long as you have the necessary information, such as the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do I measure the initial velocity of a falling flowerpot?

The initial velocity can be measured using a stopwatch and a measuring tape. Start the stopwatch as soon as the flowerpot is released and stop it when it hits the ground. Then, measure the distance the flowerpot fell to calculate the initial velocity.

4. Is the acceleration due to gravity the same everywhere?

No, the acceleration due to gravity can vary depending on the location. It is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth, but it can be slightly different on other planets or at different altitudes.

5. Can I use this equation to calculate the fall height of a flowerpot on the moon?

Yes, you can use this equation to calculate the fall height of a flowerpot on the moon. However, you will need to use the acceleration due to gravity on the moon, which is 1.62 m/s^2, instead of the value for Earth.