Calculating the Final Height of Chris's Bungee Jump

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving Chris jumping off a bridge with a bungee cord tied around his ankle. The problem asks to estimate how far below the bridge Chris's foot will be before coming to a stop, assuming the cord obeys Hooke's law and neglecting air resistance. The problem also mentions using conservation of energy and incorporating Hooke's law into the equation.
gillyr2

Homework Statement

Chris jumps off a bridge with a bungee cord tied around his ankle. He falls for 15m before the bungee cord begins to stretch. Chris's mass is 75kg and we assume the cord obeys Hooke's law F = -kx, with k=50N/m. If we neglect air resistance estimate how far below the bridge Chris's foor will be before coming to a stop. Ignore the mass of the cord and treat Chris as a particle.

Homework Equations

well i know h = 60m. but i don't know how I am suppose to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

no idea what so ever

Physics news on Phys.org
pleae someone help

Use conservation of energy.

how exactly do i encorporate hookes law in the conservation of energy equation?

What's the expression for the elastic potential energy stored in a stretched spring?

"Relevant equations"

Hi gilly! :smile:

how exactly do i encorporate hookes law in the conservation of energy equation?

Whoa! Don't do it all at once. Don't start incorporating one thing into another. :smile:

You have two objects - Chris and the cord.

What is the energy of each?

Write them down separately. Then go from there. :smile:

Related to Calculating the Final Height of Chris's Bungee Jump

1. How is the final height of Chris's bungee jump calculated?

The final height of Chris's bungee jump is calculated using the equation h = (1/2) * k * x^2, where h is the final height, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance that the bungee cord stretches.

2. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the bungee cord. It is determined by the material and thickness of the cord.

3. How is the distance that the bungee cord stretches determined?

The distance that the bungee cord stretches can be measured by attaching a weight to the cord and observing how far it stretches. This distance is then used in the final height calculation.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the final height of the bungee jump?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the final height of the bungee jump, such as the weight of the person jumping, air resistance, and the initial height of the jump.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the final height?

The calculation of the final height is an approximation and may not be 100% accurate due to factors such as air resistance and variations in the bungee cord's elasticity. However, it can give a close estimation of the final height of the bungee jump.