Calculating the filter capacitor for a power supply

In summary, the conversation was about building a simple 9V power supply using a 7809 voltage regulator and full wave rectifier. The load current from the regulator was 1A, and the discussion revolved around the relationship between load current, time (t), and ripple (delta V). It was mentioned that t is fixed when using mains power at 0.01sec and that ripple would increase with t if using a variable frequency supply. The concept of permissible ripple was also brought up, which is determined by the difference between the lowest operating voltage of the regulator and the peak value the capacitor charges to. Finally, it was concluded that increasing t will increase delta V.
TheRedDevil18
Trying to build a simple 9V power supply using a 7809 voltage regulator and full wave rectifier. The load current from the regulator is 1A. So I = C*dv/dt, therefore,

C = I*t/(delta V)

uitiQ.gif

To my understanding t is the time between the two peaks or the time the capacitor supplies the load. So if t is reduced, shouldn't the ripple increase ?, so isn't ripple (delta V) dependent on t ?, if so then why is delta V just arbitrarily chosen without considering t ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1, t is fixed if you are using mains power - at roughly 0.01sec.
2, ripple would increase with t, if you were using a variable frequency supply.
This should be clear from the graph. If the peaks are further apart, the output drops more between peaks.
3, I don't think delta V is arbitrarily chosen. It comes from the permissible ripple. You know delta t, from mains frequency, and I from your spec. Then you calculate C.
Permissible ripple may come from the difference between, the lowest operating voltage of your regulator and the peak value your capacitor charges to.

Likes davenn
TheRedDevil18 said:
So if t is reduced, shouldn't the ripple increase ?,
look at your graph
TheRedDevil18 said:
So I = C*dv/dt, therefore,
solve for dv
dv = I/C X dt , therefore
increasing Δt increases Δv

you knew that, just you were in a hurry. Think in small patient steps.

Likes davenn

Related to Calculating the filter capacitor for a power supply

1. How do I calculate the filter capacitor for a power supply?

The formula for calculating the filter capacitor for a power supply is C = I / (2 * f * Vpp), where C is the capacitance in Farads, I is the load current in Amperes, f is the frequency in Hertz, and Vpp is the peak-to-peak ripple voltage in Volts.

2. What is the purpose of a filter capacitor in a power supply?

A filter capacitor is used in a power supply to smooth out the output voltage, reducing any ripple or noise that may be present. It acts as a temporary energy storage device, providing a steady flow of current to the load.

3. How do the load current and frequency affect the filter capacitor value?

The higher the load current, the larger the filter capacitor needs to be in order to maintain a stable output voltage. Similarly, a higher frequency requires a smaller capacitor value to achieve the same level of smoothing.

4. What happens if the filter capacitor is too small or too large?

If the filter capacitor is too small, the output voltage may have excessive ripple and noise, leading to potential malfunctions or damage to the load. If it is too large, it may cause a slow start-up time and inefficient use of space and cost.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating the filter capacitor?

Yes, other factors such as input voltage, load current fluctuations, and temperature should also be taken into account when determining the appropriate filter capacitor value for a power supply. It is recommended to consult a datasheet or use a simulation tool for more accurate calculations.