Calculating the Exact Value of tan(15)

In summary, the formula for finding the tangent sum or difference is tan(A ± B) = (tan A ± tan B) / (1 ∓ tan A * tan B), where A and B are the angles in a right triangle. The tangent sum or difference is a combination of the tangent function and the addition or subtraction operation. Its purpose is to solve for missing sides or angles in a right triangle and simplify trigonometric expressions. It can be negative, indicating the angle is in the second or fourth quadrant of the unit circle. There are two special cases to consider when using the formula: when the tangent of one angle is undefined and when finding the tangent difference, if the tangent of the second angle is equal to the negative reciprocal
big billy
I am trying to find the exact value for tan(15). I figure my equation as 40 - 30 to give the 15.

when deriving my equation is where I have the problem. can anyone help please.

(1-√(3)/3)/(1 + 1 * √(3)/3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good so far. To rationalize the denominator, multiply the top and bottom by (1-√(3)/3).

big billy said:
I am trying to find the exact value for tan(15). I figure my equation as 40 - 30 to give the 15.

when deriving my equation is where I have the problem. can anyone help please.

(1-√(3)/3)/(1 + 1 * √(3)/3)

[tex]40-30 \neq 15[/tex]
:redface:
I think you mean [tex]45-30[/tex]
:smile:

Related to Calculating the Exact Value of tan(15)

1. What is the formula for finding the tangent sum or difference?

The formula for finding the tangent sum or difference is tan(A ± B) = (tan A ± tan B) / (1 ∓ tan A * tan B), where A and B are the angles in a right triangle.

2. How is the tangent sum or difference different from other trigonometric functions?

The tangent sum or difference is a combination of the tangent function, which calculates the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle, and the addition or subtraction operation, which combines two values to find a new value. Other trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, do not involve addition or subtraction.

3. What is the purpose of finding the tangent sum or difference?

Finding the tangent sum or difference is useful in solving for missing sides or angles in a right triangle, as well as in real-world applications such as engineering and navigation. It can also be used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions.

4. Can the tangent sum or difference be negative?

Yes, the tangent sum or difference can be negative. This means that the resulting tangent value is negative, indicating that the angle is in the second or fourth quadrant of the unit circle.

5. Are there any special cases when using the tangent sum or difference formula?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when using the tangent sum or difference formula. First, if the tangent of one of the angles is undefined (such as when the adjacent side is equal to 0), the formula cannot be used. Second, when finding the tangent difference, if the tangent of the second angle is equal to the negative reciprocal of the tangent of the first angle, the result will be undefined.