Calculating the epislon ε and current intensity? help please

In summary, the conversation discusses a battery connected to a light bulb and the equations involved in determining the driving force of the battery and the current intensity getting through the bulb. The driving force is calculated using the equation ε = VR + Vr and the current intensity is determined using the equation I = ε / (R + r). The conversation also touches on how to interpret the labels R and r in these equations.
phy_freak

Homework Statement

a battery connected to a light bulb that has electrical resistance of (6 Ω) and the current intensity that gets through the bulb counts (12 A), if the internal resistance of the battery was (2 Ω):-
1- what is the Driving force of the battery (ε)?
2- if the light bulb was exchanged with another bulb that has resistance of (4 Ω) what would the current intensity getting through equal?

Homework Equations

ε= VR + Vr
ε=I(R+r)
ε=W/q
r=ε-VR / I
VR = I×R
Vr = I×r
(there might be other forms of the same equations)

I actually don't know weather the electrical resistance given in the problem was r, R, VR or Vr

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi phy_freak! :smile:
phy_freak said:
I actually don't know weather the electrical resistance given in the problem was r, R, VR or Vr

In this case, it's the inital letter that tells you …

r or R is for Resistance,

v or V is for Voltage (= electric potential = emf = driving force) :wink:

(and i suppose I is for Intensity of current, and W is for energy because it stands for Work, which is a form of energy)

tiny-tim said:
Hi phy_freak! :smile:In this case, it's the inital letter that tells you …

r or R is for Resistance,

v or V is for Voltage (= electric potential = emf = driving force) :wink:

(and i suppose I is for Intensity of current, and W is for energy because it stands for Work, which is a form of energy)

so we use the equation: ε= VR + Vr to solve the first question? then it means that VR=6 (the given bulb's resistance) and Vr=2 (battery given resistance)
so ε=6+2 =8V? is that correct?

phy_freak said:
so we use the equation: ε= VR + Vr to solve the first question?

No, you're misunderstanding what this equation is.

It's ε= VR + Vr,

which in words means the emf (driving force) equals the voltage drop (electric potential difference) across the resistance R plus the voltage drop across the resistance r.

R and r in this equation aren't factors, to be multiplied … they're only labels, to tell you which V you're talking about.

(so if the resistances were called R1 and R2, the voltage drops would be called V1 and V2, with the labels "1" and "2")

The equation you need is ε = I(R+r) …

(because ε= VR + Vr, and VR = IR and Vr = Ir, so altogether ε = IR + Ir = I(R+r):wink:)

i used ε = I(R+r), assuming that R=6 (the bulb's resistance) and r=2 (battery resistance), ε equaled 96 V.

and i used I=ε/R+r (with the ε equaling 96) for the second question, (I) equaled 16A

are those correct?

phy_freak said:
i used ε = I(R+r), assuming that R=6 (the bulb's resistance) and r=2 (battery resistance), ε equaled 96 V.

and i used I=ε/R+r (with the ε equaling 96) for the second question, (I) equaled 16A

are those correct?

Yup! :biggrin:

thank you very much you were helpful :)

Related to Calculating the epislon ε and current intensity? help please

1. What is the formula for calculating epsilon ε?

The formula for calculating epsilon ε is: ε = V/d, where V is the voltage and d is the distance between the two plates of a capacitor.

2. How do I calculate the current intensity?

To calculate current intensity, you can use the formula: I = Q/t, where Q is the charge and t is the time.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating both epsilon ε and current intensity?

No, the formulas for calculating epsilon ε and current intensity are different. Epsilon ε is calculated using the voltage and distance, while current intensity is calculated using charge and time.

4. What is the unit of measurement for epsilon ε and current intensity?

The unit of measurement for epsilon ε is farads per meter (F/m), while the unit for current intensity is amperes (A).

5. How can I use these calculations in my experiments or research?

Calculating epsilon ε and current intensity can be useful in various scientific experiments and research, particularly in the field of electricity and magnetism. These calculations can help determine the strength of electric fields and the flow of current in a circuit, which can provide valuable insights for further analysis and understanding.