Calculating the Distance Dropped by a Baseball Thrown at 116 km/h

• Thread starter shenwei1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, we have a pitcher throwing a baseball at 116 km/h towards home plate which is 18.4 m away. Using the given values of gravity (9.81 m/s^2) and velocity (116 km/h or 32.22 m/s), we can calculate that the ball will take approximately 0.57 seconds to reach home plate. To determine the vertical distance (or drop) of the ball, we can use the equation \Deltay = \frac{1}{2}gt^2. Plugging in the values, we get a drop of approximately 8.81 meters.
shenwei1988
a) A pitcher throws a baseball horizontally at 116 km/h toward home plate, which is 18.4 m away. How far will the ball drop due to gravity by the time it reaches home plate?

g=9.81m/s^2
v=116km/h

i tried to solve this question, but i don't know where to get the high.
116km/h=32.22m/s
18.4/32.22=0.57s
`````

please help me, thank you! i am so confuse with the question it actually ask.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, the question that it is asking is that it wants you to find how far the ball dropped since it left the pitcher's hand. What I did was that i wrote out all my horizontal givens and my vertical givens and I just solved for [tex]\Delta[/tex]y after I got all the other information.

Hello,

I understand your confusion with this question. Let me explain how to calculate the distance dropped by the baseball due to gravity using the given information.

First, we need to convert the velocity of the baseball from kilometers per hour (km/h) to meters per second (m/s). This can be done by multiplying the velocity by 1000/3600, which gives us 32.22 m/s.

Next, we can use the formula d= ½ * g * t^2, where d is the distance dropped, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2), and t is the time taken for the ball to travel the given distance.

We already know the time, which is 0.57 seconds (calculated by dividing the distance of 18.4 meters by the velocity of 32.22 m/s).

So, plugging in the values in the formula, we get d= ½ * 9.81 * (0.57)^2 = 1.61 meters.

Therefore, the ball will drop 1.61 meters due to gravity by the time it reaches home plate.

I hope this helps to clarify the question and the process of calculating the distance dropped. Keep up the good work with your scientific thinking!

Related to Calculating the Distance Dropped by a Baseball Thrown at 116 km/h

What is the formula for calculating the distance dropped by a baseball thrown at 116 km/h?

The formula for calculating the distance dropped by a baseball thrown at 116 km/h is d = 0.5 * g * t^2, where d is the distance in meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

How do I convert 116 km/h to meters per second?

To convert 116 km/h to meters per second, you can use the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity in meters per second, d is the distance in meters, and t is the time in seconds. In this case, you would divide 116 km/h by 3.6 to get the velocity in meters per second, which is approximately 32.2 m/s.

What is the average distance dropped by a baseball thrown at 116 km/h?

The average distance dropped by a baseball thrown at 116 km/h would depend on several factors, such as air resistance and the initial angle of the throw. However, assuming ideal conditions, the average distance dropped would be approximately 55.8 meters.

How long does it take for a baseball thrown at 116 km/h to hit the ground?

Using the formula v = d/t, we can rearrange it to solve for t, which gives us t = d/v. Plugging in the values for distance (55.8 meters) and velocity (32.2 m/s), we get a time of approximately 1.73 seconds for the baseball to hit the ground.

Does air resistance affect the distance dropped by a baseball thrown at 116 km/h?

Yes, air resistance does affect the distance dropped by a baseball thrown at 116 km/h. As the baseball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance which slows it down and decreases the distance it can travel. However, for most practical purposes, the effect of air resistance is relatively small and can be ignored in calculations.