Calculating the Distance Between Two Stones Dropped Off a Cliff

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, the second stone is dropped 1.6 seconds after the first one and the distance between them is 36 meters. To find the height of each stone, you need to use the equation x1 = xo + tvo + 0.5at^2, with the top of the cliff as the zero point. Since the acceleration is the same for both stones, it can be ignored and the velocity after 1.6 seconds can be used to calculate the time needed to reach a distance of 36 meters. Then, the position of each stone can be determined using this time and velocity.
Rasine
2 stones are dropped off a 60 m cliff the second stone is droped 1.6 s after the first one. how far below the top of the cliff is the second stone when th separation between the 2 stones is 36 m?

so i am trying to use the equation x1=xo+tvo+.5at^2

then x2=xo+(t+1.6)vo+.5a(t+1.6)^2

or should i set my zero point somewhere else like where stone 2 is when the distance between the stones is 36 m?

please give me a lead

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get an expression for the height of each stone. The expression you have there is correct (if it is for the first stone), you can simplify it quite a bit though. So what would the equation of the other stone be? I would take the top of the cliff as the zero point.

You are given the difference in height between them at a certain time, so you need to find the time t that they are 36m apart.

interesting wrinkle. Offhand I would think there are a few ways to the right answer. And surely you are on the right track.

I usually try to find the simplest physically intuitive approach. The way then i look at this problem is to "ignore" acceleration snce its the same for both and therefore cancels once both are in free fall and gaining velocity at the same rate. This does not mean that the distance between them is constant. So off the top of my head, I'd first figure the velocity after 1.6 sec=at. this is 15.68m/s. To reach 36m would require the time at this speed. Then backtrack for position. I may be all wet, is so someone willbe sure to say so.

Related to Calculating the Distance Between Two Stones Dropped Off a Cliff

1. How did the stones fall off the cliff?

The stones most likely fell off the cliff due to some external force, such as wind, an earthquake, or a person knocking them off.

2. What happens when two stones fall off a cliff at the same time?

Assuming that the stones are identical in size and shape, they will most likely reach the ground at the same time. This is due to the laws of gravity, which states that all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass.

3. Can the stones fall at different speeds?

Yes, if one stone is lighter or has a different shape than the other, it may fall at a different speed. Additionally, air resistance can also affect the speed at which the stones fall.

4. What factors can affect the trajectory of the stones as they fall?

The trajectory of the stones can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, wind, the shape and weight of the stones, and the angle at which they were thrown or fell off the cliff.

5. Is it possible for the stones to collide with each other while falling?

Yes, it is possible for the stones to collide with each other while falling. This can happen if they are thrown or fall off the cliff at different angles or if there are other objects in their path.