Calculating the distance between fringes in an alternate universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wavelength of two golf balls and the distance between fringes on a screen. The initial equation used a value of h that may have been a typo, and the second equation used a sin term to determine the distance between fringes. The speaker received clarification from their professor and was able to calculate the distance between fringes using geometry.
Vitani1
Homework Statement
In an alternative universe, the Planck’s constant h= 6.625x103 J •s . A resident of the universe, stands in front of a window made of two narrow parallel slits 0.6 m apart and throws tiny golf balls (m = 66.25 g), one at a time, at the slits with a speed of 5 m/s. A wall is 12 m behind the window.
(a)Describe the pattern you expect to see on the wall as the number of golf balls hitting the wall increases.
(b)Calculate the distance between neighboring golf ball fringes on the wall.
Relevant Equations
lambda = h/p
It's straightforward to calculate the wavelength of the balls which is 20,000m. I said that because this is the case and then the pattern must not be a an interference pattern as with electrons.

The second question relies on the formula d = n(lambda)/2. Setting n = 1 for two golf balls will give me 10,000m.

I am asking for help because these are large numbers. Obviously I don't want the answer but just some feedback.

Thanks,

John

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani1 said:
It's straightforward to calculate the wavelength of the balls which is 20,000m. I said that because this is the case and then the pattern must not be a an interference pattern as with electrons.
Yes, you get a very large wavelength. I'm wondering if the question meant to take ##h = 6.625 \times 10^{-3} \rm J\cdot s## rather than ##h = 6.625 \times 10^3 \rm J\cdot s## .

The second question relies on the formula d = n(lambda)/2. Setting n = 1 for two golf balls will give me 10,000m.
Does ##d## represent the distance between fringes on the screen? If so, I don't understand this equation. Shouldn't the distance between fringes depend on the distance from the slits to the screen?

Likes Vitani1
Actually I just met with my professor and he made a typo. It is in fact to the power of -3. Also, yes, I agree with you. There is a sin term in the original formula which I set equal to 1 because I assumed the balls were being shot at the screen on a trajectory perpendicular to its length.

Likes TSny
I ended up calculating this angle and using some geometry to find this distance between fringes. Thanks for the help.

Likes TSny

Related to Calculating the distance between fringes in an alternate universe

1. How do you calculate the distance between fringes in an alternate universe?

To calculate the distance between fringes in an alternate universe, you would first need to determine the wavelength of the light source being used. Then, using the equation d = λD/d, where d is the distance between fringes, λ is the wavelength, and D is the distance between the source and the screen, you can calculate the distance between fringes.

2. Is the equation for calculating the distance between fringes the same in an alternate universe?

No, the equation for calculating the distance between fringes may be different in an alternate universe due to variations in physical laws and constants. It is important to understand the specific laws and constants in the alternate universe in order to accurately calculate the distance between fringes.

3. Can the distance between fringes in an alternate universe be measured using the same methods as in our universe?

It is possible that the methods used to measure the distance between fringes in our universe may not be applicable in an alternate universe. This is because the properties of light and space may differ in the alternate universe, requiring different measurement techniques.

4. How does the distance between fringes in an alternate universe affect our understanding of physics?

The distance between fringes in an alternate universe can provide valuable insights into the physics of that universe. By studying the patterns of fringes, scientists can gain a better understanding of the properties of light, space, and other fundamental forces in the alternate universe.

5. Can the distance between fringes in an alternate universe be used to travel between universes?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that the distance between fringes in an alternate universe can be used for inter-universe travel. However, further research and understanding of the properties of alternate universes may one day lead to the development of such technology.