Calculating the Cross Section for a Laser's Transition Rate Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the rate equations for an atomic laser with single mode operation and lifetime broadening due to A21 and A1. The equations for atomic densities N1 and N2 and flux Φ are provided, but the cross section (σ) is missing. The speaker mentions that the cross section can be calculated using the equation σ = (λ^2/π)(A21/(A21+A2L+A1L)), but is unable to find it in the book. Later, the speaker discovers that the cross section was given to them and their problem is solved. They express a desire to learn how to calculate the cross section using wavelength/frequency and the A coefficients.
Habeebe

Homework Statement

For a laser, assume single mode operation, only lifetime broadening due to A21 and A1. Write out the rate equations for the atomic densitions N1 and N2 and the flux [itex]\Phi[/itex].

Then there's a diagram where there's 2 stats. Pump rate is P, stimulated emission between 1 and 2 is allowed, and spontaneous emission from 1 to 2 and from 1 to the reservoir.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Below are the rate equations as I have them. My issue is that I don't know how to get the cross section (σ). I can't find it in the book. The example from class was the same as before, but spontaneous decay could happen from both states 2 and 1, and the pump went into both states also. For that case it was [itex]\sigma = \frac{\lambda^2}{\pi}\frac{A_{21}}{A_{21}+A_{2L}+A_{1L}}.[/itex]

Rate equations:
[itex]\dot{N_2}=P-\Phi\sigma(N_2-N_1)-A_{21}N_2[/itex]
[itex]\dot{N_1}=\Phi\sigma(N_2-N_1)+A_{21}N_2-A_1N_1[/itex]
[itex]\dot{\Phi}=\Phi \frac{c}{2d}[ln(R_1R_2+2l\sigma(N_2-N_1)][/itex]EDIT: I'm not sure if it's clear, but I need cross section in terms of wavelength/frequency and the A coefficients, as those are filled in later with actual numbers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The cross section was actually given to me, and I just found it, so my problem is solved. I feel like this is something I should be able to figure out though, so if anyone can show how to I'd get to the solution, that'd be cool.

Related to Calculating the Cross Section for a Laser's Transition Rate Equations

What is a transition cross section?

A transition cross section is a measurement of the probability of a particle undergoing a specific type of transition, such as a collision or decay, within a given area. It is commonly used in the field of particle physics to understand the behavior of particles and their interactions.

How is a transition cross section measured?

A transition cross section is typically measured using high-energy particle accelerators, which allow scientists to study the interactions between particles in a controlled environment. The cross section can be calculated by measuring the number of particles that undergo a specific transition within a given area and time frame.

What factors affect the value of a transition cross section?

The value of a transition cross section is affected by several factors, including the energy and momentum of the particles involved, the type of interaction being studied, and the properties of the particles themselves. The cross section can also vary depending on the angle at which the particles collide or interact.

Why is the concept of transition cross section important in particle physics?

The concept of transition cross section is important in particle physics because it provides a quantitative way to describe and understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It allows scientists to predict and analyze the outcomes of particle interactions, and provides valuable information for building and testing theoretical models.

What are some real-world applications of transition cross section measurements?

Transition cross section measurements have a wide range of applications, including in the development of new technologies such as particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques. They also play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and the structure of the universe.