Calculating the conversion of potential energy to thermal

In summary, the water temperature would increase by .25 degrees Celsius due to the .492296212 Btu of heat that was sent to it from the water's potential energy.
jongood

Homework Statement

Horseshoe Falls, one of the Niagara Falls, has a 53 m drop. Consider one kg of water that
falls over the falls. If, upon hitting the bottom of the falls, all of the water’s potential energy
is converted to thermal energy and this heats the fallen water, calculate the increase in the
water’s temperature.

Homework Equations

Ek = ½ m v2
PE = m x g x h

Thermal: change in Eth = m Cp change in T.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I should be calculate the potential energy of 1 kg of water falling 53 m. Then that that number and convert it to thermal energy. Use the thermal energy number to calculate the change in water temperature?

I calculated the potential energy to be 519.4 J.
Convert Joules to BTU=
519.4 joules = 0.492296212 btu

Now to calculate the increase in the water's temperature, I am not sure if that's the whole fall? I don't think that is possible since the amount of water is always changing. Now if they are talking about the increase in temp of that 1 kg of water... then i have no idea...

Am i on the right track? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, sounds like we assume that the kinetic energy of that particular kg of water is used to heat just that bit.

You quoted a formula:
Thermal: change in Eth = m Cp change in T.
What does Cp stand for?

Cp is for constant pressure. I copy and pasted it from a PDF lecture so it got jumbled up.

So thermal is heat already right?

As for the water, should i just assume it is 25 c since that is the standard. How would I convert Btu to C?

Actually Cp is the heat capacity of water - it's a number that says how much Joules you need to heat 1 kg of water by 1 degree Kelvin (or Celcius) - look it up!.

You don't need to assume any temperature, the formula says "change in T", right? Well, that's exactly what you're asked for.

Oh yeah. sorry I knew that. It was in my notes but I read it too quickly.

so I am kind of lost here. I know that 1 Btu is what will increase 0.454 kg of water 1 degrees.

Since I have approx .5 Btu of energy but 1 kg of water...

I don't know what formula to use...

If 1 Btu will increase 0.454 kg of water by 1 degree, then how many Btu do you need to increase 1 kg of water by 1 degree?

2.20264317 Btu will be needed. but since I only have .454 Btu, then the water will only increase by approx. .25 degrees C?

I got a slightly different number, but yes - that is the idea.

If you want to use the internationally accepted SI units rather than the weird British units, you could look up Cp in a standard resource and use the value in Joules :D

Related to Calculating the conversion of potential energy to thermal

1. How do you calculate the conversion of potential energy to thermal energy?

The conversion of potential energy to thermal energy can be calculated by using the formula Q = mgh, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

2. What is potential energy and how does it relate to thermal energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration. When potential energy is converted to thermal energy, it is usually due to a change in the object's position, such as falling or moving from a higher to lower energy state.

3. Can potential energy only be converted to thermal energy?

No, potential energy can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or electrical energy. The conversion to thermal energy is just one possible outcome.

4. How does the efficiency of the conversion of potential energy to thermal energy affect its use?

The efficiency of the conversion is an important factor to consider when using potential energy for practical purposes. A higher efficiency means less potential energy is wasted as other forms of energy, making the process more cost-effective and sustainable.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating the conversion of potential energy to thermal energy?

Yes, there are many real-life applications where this calculation is necessary. For example, in hydroelectric power plants, potential energy from water stored in a reservoir is converted to thermal energy in the form of steam to drive turbines and produce electricity. It is also important in understanding the energy efficiency of buildings and the design of energy-efficient structures.