Calculating the capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor

In summary, the capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = ε0A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space (8.85 x 10^-12 F/m), A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. The unit of capacitance is farad (F), which is equivalent to coulomb per volt. The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates, meaning that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases. However, the capacitance can be increased by increasing the area of the plates or by decreasing the distance between the plates. Calculating the capacitance is
shandsy

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate air capacitor is made by using two plates 18 cm square, spaced 3.5 mm apart. It is connected to a 3-V battery.

What is the capacitance?

Homework Equations

C = εo(A/d)

The Attempt at a Solution

εo = 8.854e-12
A = .18 m
d = .0035 m

C = εo (.18/.0035) = 4.55348571e-10 F

This is coming up as the wrong answer. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I solved the problem. I read "18 cm square" to mean 18 cm2, but I guess it really meant a square with 18cm sides, so A = .0324 m2. Sorry about that!

Related to Calculating the capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor

1. How do you calculate the capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = ε0A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space (8.85 x 10^-12 F/m), A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. What is the unit of capacitance?

The unit of capacitance is farad (F), which is equivalent to coulomb per volt.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases.

4. Can the capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor be increased?

Yes, the capacitance can be increased by increasing the area of the plates or by decreasing the distance between the plates.

5. What is the significance of calculating the capacitance of a parallel-plate air capacitor?

Calculating the capacitance allows us to understand the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor and how it is affected by the distance and area of the plates. This knowledge is essential in designing and using electronic circuits and devices.