Calculating the Average Value of Square Spin for a Composite System

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average value of the total square spin operator and how it relates to the singlet and triplet states of a composite system of two fermions. There is a difference between calculating the eigenvalue and the average value, and the latter can be determined by expanding the spin-state wave function in a linear combination of antisymmetric and symmetric parts. The proof for this is not difficult and the density matrix plays a role in determining the possible spin states.
Gvido_Anselmi
Hello everyone.
Let us consider two fermions whose spin state wave functions are certain (normalized) ##\psi_{1}## and ##\psi_{2}##.
So the overall normalized spin state wave function of this system is of the form:

##\psi = (1/\sqrt{2})(\psi_{1} \psi_{2} - \psi_{2} \psi_{1})##

Is there any difference between calculating the total square spin operator ##\hat S^{2}## eigenvalue and the average value of ##S^{2}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem was to calculate average value of ##S^2## for given spin state wave functions of two electrons. Honestly I don't understand the meaning of this problem. We know that total square spin operator's eigenvalues are ##S^{2}=S(S+1)## and take values ##0## or ##2##. Eigenvalues of linear Hermitian operator are observables or average values of physical quantities by definition. So what does it mean to take average value of average value or there is something I understand wrong?

Last edited:
I see your confusion.

You are right that the (vector) addition of the individual spins gives us either ##S^2=0 \Rightarrow S=0## or ##S^2=2 \Rightarrow S = 1##.
Now these states correspond to the singlet and triplet states of this composite system.
The singlet state has (as the name suggests) 1 state (##S_z##).
But for the triplet state we can have spin along the z-axis ##-1,\, 0,\, +1##.

Now if you say that each of these states is equally probable i.e. the density matrix is proportional to the unit matrix.
In that case ##0\leq \langle S^2 \rangle \leq 2##, check that.

Gvido_Anselmi said:
The problem was to calculate average value of ##\S^2## for given spin state wave function. Honestly I don't understand the meaning of this problem. We know that total square spin operator's eigenvalues are ##S^{2}=S(S+1)## and take values ##0## or ##2##. Eigenvalues of linear Hermitian operator are observables or average values of physical quantities.
JorisL said:
I see your confusion.

You are right that the (vector) addition of the individual spins gives us either ##S^2=0 \Rightarrow S=0## or ##S^2=2 \Rightarrow S = 1##.
Now these states correspond to the singlet and triplet states of this composite system.
The singlet state has (as the name suggests) 1 state (##S_z##).
But for the triplet state we can have spin along the z-axis ##-1,\, 0,\, +1##.

Now if you say that each of these states is equally probable i.e. the density matrix is proportional to the unit matrix.
In that case ##0\leq \langle S^2 \rangle \leq 2##, check that.

Obvious! I have forgotten that spin-state wave function is not always antisymmetric. In general case we should expand it in a linear combination of antisymmetric (singlet) and symmetric (triplet) parts. I can guess that ##S^2=2P## where ##P## is the norm of triplet state and the proof is not too difficult.
Thank you very much!

Related to Calculating the Average Value of Square Spin for a Composite System

What is the average value of square spin?

The average value of square spin is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the expected value of the square of the spin of a particle. It is denoted by S2 and is a measure of the particle's intrinsic angular momentum.

How is the average value of square spin calculated?

The average value of square spin is calculated by taking the square of the spin operator, S, and averaging it over all possible spin states. This is represented by the equation: S2 = ÅS2&rangst;, where ÅS2&rangst; is the average value of the square of the spin operator.

What is the significance of the average value of square spin?

The average value of square spin is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles with spin. It is used to calculate the uncertainty in a particle's spin and is also related to the energy levels of a particle in a magnetic field.

How does the average value of square spin relate to the spin angular momentum?

The average value of square spin is directly related to the spin angular momentum of a particle. It is a measure of the magnitude of the spin angular momentum, while the spin operator S is a measure of the direction of the spin angular momentum.

What factors can affect the average value of square spin?

The average value of square spin can be affected by various factors such as the magnetic field strength, the type of particle, and the particle's energy level. It can also be affected by the interactions between particles and their environment, which can lead to changes in the spin states.