Calculating the average divergence of the flow of fluid in a box.

In summary, the problem involves calculating the average divergence of a fluid flow through a cube of 5cm side length with given velocity values. The cube is oriented to have the +z axis exiting the front face, the +x axis exiting the right face, and the +y axis exiting the top face. The velocities are given in cm/s and include a front velocity of 30i + 60j - 30k, a right velocity of 20i - 20j + 20k, a left velocity of -100i + 200j - 300k, a top velocity of 5i + 50j - 10k, a bottom velocity of 0, and a back velocity of 250
lovepiano25

Homework Statement

A cube of side 5cm is placed in a fluid. For the following velocity values, calculate the average divergence of the flow. Is there a source or sink within this box? The velocities are given in cm/s. The cube is oriented so that the +z axis exits the front face, the +x axis exits the right face and the +y axis exits the top face.

Front: V = 30i + 60 j - 30 k

Right V = 20 i - 20 j + 20 k

Left V = -100 i + 200 j - 300 k

Top V = 5 i + 50 j - 10 k

Bottom V = 0

Back V = 250 k

Homework Equations

The divergence Theorem

(surface integral) ∫ ∇ F dA = (surface integral) ∫ F n ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate the normal vector but i can not figure out how to go about finding the surface integral.

I would appreciate one example

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried taking the dot product of your normal vector and the flow? You should get something that is easy to integrate. This is what appears on the right side of the divergence theorem under the integral sign.

If you got that far and are still confused, what do you think ∫dA should be? What does that imply about ∫100dA?

Note also that on the right side of the divergence theorem, you have a surface integral, but on the left you have a volume integral.

Related to Calculating the average divergence of the flow of fluid in a box.

1. What is the formula for calculating the average divergence of fluid flow in a box?

The formula for calculating the average divergence of fluid flow in a box is ∇ · v = 1/V ∫∫∫ (∂vx/∂x + ∂vy/∂y + ∂vz/∂z) dV, where ∇ is the divergence operator, v is the velocity field, and V is the volume of the box. This formula represents the net flow of fluid out of a given point in the box.

2. What units are used to measure the average divergence of fluid flow?

The units used to measure the average divergence of fluid flow are inverse length (1/m) or inverse time (1/s). This is because the value of divergence represents the rate of change of fluid flow per unit volume or per unit time.

3. How is the average divergence of fluid flow related to fluid dynamics?

The average divergence of fluid flow is an important concept in fluid dynamics, as it helps to describe the behavior and movement of fluids. A positive divergence indicates that there is a net flow of fluid out of a given point, while a negative divergence indicates a net flow into a given point. This information can be used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems.

4. Can the average divergence of fluid flow be negative?

Yes, the average divergence of fluid flow can be negative. This would indicate that there is a net flow of fluid into a given point in the box. This is often seen in systems where fluid is being compressed or converging towards a certain point.

5. How is the average divergence of fluid flow used in practical applications?

The average divergence of fluid flow is used in many practical applications, such as in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents, as well as in engineering and design of fluid systems. It can also be used to analyze and optimize fluid flow in industrial processes, such as in pipelines and pumps.