Calculating the Area Between Two Curves: A Shorter Method?

In summary, the problem is to find the area of a region defined by inequalities. The method used is to calculate the area in the first quadrant and multiply by 4. The area is 8.1211825059603.
Saitama
Problem:

Calculate the area of region defined by the inequalities:

$$-1<xy<1$$
$$-1<x^2-y^2<1$$

Attempt:

Although I have solved the problem but I am not very satisfied with the method I used. The graph of region is symmetrical in all the four quadrants so I calculated the area in the first quadrant and multiplied by 4. I found the points of intersection and got the following integrals:

Wolfram Alpha

But I feel that given the shape of region, there exists an easier method. Has someone got any idea about a shorter method?

Here's an image depicting the region:

jsip9l.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use polar coordinates and divide the region into octants.

The curve:

\(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=1\)

becomes:

\(\displaystyle r^2=\sec(2\theta)\)

and the curve:

\(\displaystyle xy=1\)

becomes:

\(\displaystyle r^2=2\csc(2\theta)\)

we find they intersect at:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2)\)

and so we may express the area as:

\(\displaystyle A=8\left(\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2)} \sec(2\theta)\,d\theta+\int_{\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2)}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \csc(2\theta)\,d\theta \right)\)

You should then be able to show that:

\(\displaystyle A=2\sinh^{-1}(2)-4\ln\left(\frac{2}{1+\sqrt{5}} \right)\approx4.81211825059603\)

When you multiply the result you give from W|A by 4, you find they are equivalent.

MarkFL said:
I would use polar coordinates and divide the region into octants.

The curve:

\(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=1\)

becomes:

\(\displaystyle r^2=\sec(2\theta)\)

and the curve:

\(\displaystyle xy=1\)

becomes:

\(\displaystyle r^2=2\csc(\theta)\)

we find they intersect at:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2)\)

and so we may express the area as:

\(\displaystyle A=8\left(\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2)} \sec(2\theta)\,d\theta+\int_{\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}(2)}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \csc(2\theta)\,d\theta \right)\)

You should then be able to show that:

\(\displaystyle A=2\sinh^{-1}(2)-4\ln\left(\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{5}} \right)\approx4.81211825059603\)

When you multiply the result you give from W|A by 4, you find they are equivalent.

That's beautiful MarkFL! Thanks a bunch. :) (Clapping) (Clapping)

You seem to have made a very small error in the end. I get $4\ln\left(\frac{2}{1+\sqrt{5}}\right) $ instead of $4\ln\left(\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{5}}\right)$, rest everything is great. Thanks once again.

Pranav said:
That's beautiful MarkFL! Thanks a bunch. :) (Clapping) (Clapping)

You seem to have made a very small error in the end. I get $4\ln\left(\frac{2}{1+\sqrt{5}}\right) $ instead of $4\ln\left(\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{5}}\right)$, rest everything is great. Thanks once again.

Yes, that was a typo, when I entered the expression into the calculator, I used the correct number. I will fix my post. :D

I also had a typo when I stated the polar equivalent of $xy=1$, but I used the correct form in the integrand. :D I have now fixed that as well.

Related to Calculating the Area Between Two Curves: A Shorter Method?

1. What is the area between two curves?

The area between two curves refers to the region enclosed by two curves on a graph. It is the total amount of space that is bounded by the two curves and the x-axis. This area can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the difference between the two curves.

2. How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you need to first graph the two curves and determine the points of intersection. Then, set up an integral with the limits of integration being the x-values of the points of intersection. The integral should be the difference between the two curves. Evaluate the integral to find the area between the curves.

3. Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative. This occurs when the lower curve is above the upper curve in certain intervals. When calculating the area between two curves, it is important to take into account the signs of the curves to ensure an accurate result.

4. What is the significance of finding the area between two curves?

The area between two curves has various applications in mathematics and science. It can be used to calculate the volume of a solid, the work done by a variable force, and the average value of a function. It is also a fundamental concept in integral calculus and can help in understanding the relationship between two functions.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the area between two curves?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to find the area between two curves. For example, if the two curves are symmetric about the y-axis, you can find the area of one side and multiply it by two. Additionally, if one of the curves is a straight line, you can use the formula for the area of a triangle to find the area between the curves.