Calculating the Angle between Ship and Rock

In summary: Is it okay if I post what I wrote in the summary here?In summary, the ship sees a rock at the position $(2,4)$. The vector that connects the ship with the rock is $(1,0)+ t (1,4), t \in \mathbb{R}$. The angle $\theta$ that this vector forms with the direction of the north is $\beta$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

A ship that is at the position $(1,0)$ of a chart ( with the north at the positive direction $y$) "sees" a rock at the position $(2,4)$. Which is the vector that connects the ship with the rock? What angle $\theta$ does this vector form with the direction of the north?

I have thought to draw the x and y-axis:

View attachment 5319

The vector that connects the ship with the rock is $(1,0)+ t (1,4), t \in \mathbb{R}$, isn't it?We consider the triangle:

View attachment 5320Do we have to prove that it is a right triangle in order to use for example that $\sin {\phi}= \frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{hypotenuse}}$ ?

Attachments

• ang.png
    ang.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 69
  • ang.png
    ang.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 69
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would say that in a Cartesian coordinate system, we may freely use the fact that the lines $y=k_y$ and $x=k_x$ are perpendicular, just as we do when using the distance formula for example.

MarkFL said:
I would say that in a Cartesian coordinate system, we may freely use the fact that the lines $y=k_y$ and $x=k_x$ are perpendicular, just as we do when using the distance formula for example.

View attachment 5321

So do we just say that since we have a right triangle, it holds that $\sin{\phi}=\frac{(2,4)-(2,0)}{(2,4)-(1,0)}=\frac{(0,4)}{(1,4)}$ ?

What is meant with "the direction of the north" ?

Attachments

• ang.png
    ang.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 64
Since we know without using the Pythagorean theorem the lengths the of legs, I would use the tangent function instead. And they are asking for the angle the vector makes with the northern direction, or the $y$-axis...let's call this angle $\beta$, and so we could use:

\(\displaystyle \beta=\frac{\pi}{2}-\arctan\left(4\right)\)

MarkFL said:
Since we know without using the Pythagorean theorem the lengths the of legs, I would use the tangent function instead. And they are asking for the angle the vector makes with the northern direction, or the $y$-axis...let's call this angle $\beta$, and so we could use:

\(\displaystyle \beta=\frac{\pi}{2}-\arctan\left(4\right)\)

Could you explain it further to me? (Sweating)

evinda said:
Could you explain it further to me? (Sweating)

Draw the vertical line $x=1$. Now, can you see that the angle subtended by this vertical line and the line segment from $(1,0)$ to $(2,4)$, which I have called $\beta$ is complementary to the angle you have labelled $\phi$?

We could get the angle we want more directly though...please consider the following diagram:

View attachment 5322

And so we see:

\(\displaystyle \beta=\arctan\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)\)

And this is equivalent to the value I posted before (do you see why?) :)

Attachments

• evinda01.png
    evinda01.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 60
MarkFL;82271 We could get the angle we want more directly though...please consider the following diagram: And so we see: [MATH said:
\beta=\arctan\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)[/MATH]

And this is equivalent to the value I posted before (do you see why?) :)

So we can pick this right triangle instead of the one that I drawed, right?

It holds that $\tan \beta=\frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{adjacent}}=\frac{1}{4} \Rightarrow \beta=arc \tan{\frac{1}{4}}$, right?

Why is $arc \tan{\frac{1}{4}}$ equal to $\frac{\pi}{2}-arc \tan{4}$ ?

I am looking again at the question [m] Which is the vector that connects the ship with the rock? [/m].Isn't the vector equal to (2,4)-(1,0)=(1,4) ?

evinda said:
So we can pick this right triangle instead of the one that I drawed, right?

Yes, and in fact it is congruent to the one you drew.

evinda said:
It holds that $\tan \beta=\frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{adjacent}}=\frac{1}{4} \Rightarrow \beta=arc \tan{\frac{1}{4}}$, right?

Correct. :D

evinda said:
Why is $arc \tan{\frac{1}{4}}$ equal to $\frac{\pi}{2}-arc \tan{4}$ ?

Consider the identities:

\(\displaystyle \arctan\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)=\arccot\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)\tag{1}\)

This comes from that fact that tangent and cotangent are multiplicative inverses of each other.

and

\(\displaystyle \arctan(a)+\arccot(a)=\frac{\pi}{2}\tag{2}\)

This comes directly from the fact that tangent and cotangent are complementary functions.

And so, let's begin with:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\arctan(a)\)

Applying (2), we may write:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}-\arccot(a)\)

And then applying (1), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}-\arctan\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)\)

evinda said:
I am looking again at the question [m] Which is the vector that connects the ship with the rock? [/m].Isn't the vector equal to (2,4)-(1,0)=(1,4) ?

Yes, that's correct. (Yes)

View attachment 5323Why do we consider that the line that passes through the points $(1,4)$ and $(2,4)$ is $1$ and not the vector $(1,0)$ ?

Attachments

• evinda01.png
    evinda01.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 55
Or do we mean the length of the opposide and the length of the adjacent vector?

Also could you explain to me why $\beta$ is the angle that the vector $(1,4)$ forms with the direction of the north?

evinda said:
Why do we consider that the line that passes through the points $(1,4)$ and $(2,4)$ is $1$ and not the vector $(1,0)$ ?

The length of that side of the triangle is equal to the magnitude of $\langle 1,0 \rangle$:

\(\displaystyle \left|\langle 1,0 \rangle\right|=\sqrt{1^2+0^2}=1\)

I actually simply took the magnitude of the difference in $x$-coordinates.

MarkFL said:
The length of that side of the triangle is equal to the magnitude of $\langle 1,0 \rangle$:

\(\displaystyle \left|\langle 1,0 \rangle\right|=\sqrt{1^2+0^2}=1\)

I actually simply took the magnitude of the difference in $x$-coordinates.

Since it's the line $(1,0)$ we can just say that its length is 1, can't we?

evinda said:
Or do we mean the length of the opposide and the length of the adjacent vector?

Yes, which is what I was saying in my previous post (that I posted after your question). :)

evinda said:
Also could you explain to me why $\beta$ is the angle that the vector $(1,4)$ forms with the direction of the north?

The direction of north is "up", or the same as the positive $y$-axis, and so it has the same direction as the vector:

\(\displaystyle \langle 1,4 \rangle - \langle 1,0 \rangle=\langle 0,4 \rangle\)

MarkFL said:
Yes, which is what I was saying in my previous post (that I posted after your question). :)

Ok... (Smile)

MarkFL said:
The direction of north is "up", or the same as the positive $y$-axis, and so it has the same direction as the vector:

\(\displaystyle \langle 1,4 \rangle - \langle 1,0 \rangle=\langle 0,4 \rangle\)

What does $\beta$ represent? Why is it the angle that $(1,4)$ forms with the y-axis?
How would we find for example the angle that $(1,4)$ forms with the x-axis?

evinda said:
...What does $\beta$ represent? Why is it the angle that $(1,4)$ forms with the y-axis?
How would we find for example the angle that $(1,4)$ forms with the x-axis?

Please refer to the diagram I posted in post #6...we are defining the angle $\beta$ to be that which is subtended by the vectors $\langle 0,4 \rangle$ and $\langle 1,4 \rangle$...wouldn't you agree this is the angle for which we are asked? After all, doesn't the vector $\langle 0,4 \rangle$ point due north?

MarkFL said:
Please refer to the diagram I posted in post #6...we are defining the angle $\beta$ to be that which is subtended by the vectors $\langle 0,4 \rangle$ and $\langle 1,4 \rangle$...wouldn't you agree this is the angle for which we are asked? After all, doesn't the vector $\langle 0,4 \rangle$ point due north?

Ok. And no matter which other right triangle we would draw we would get the same result, right?

Is the use of a right angle the only way to find the desired angle?

evinda said:
Ok. And no matter which other right triangle we would draw we would get the same result, right?

Is the use of a right angle the only way to find the desired angle?

Yes, we are not locked into any particular triangle, but as long as properly done, you will get the same result.

We could use the Law of Cosines, or vector algebra, or analytic (coordinate geometry), but they are all really just variants of this same method. :)

Related to Calculating the Angle between Ship and Rock

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle between a ship and a rock?

The formula for calculating the angle between a ship and a rock is arctan (height of the rock/ distance from the ship to the rock).

2. How do you measure the height of a rock?

The height of a rock can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a tape measure or a laser range finder. It is important to ensure that the measurement is taken from the base of the rock to the highest point.

3. What unit of measurement is used for the angle between a ship and a rock?

The angle between a ship and a rock is typically measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad).

4. Is there a specific angle that indicates a potential collision between a ship and a rock?

There is no specific angle that indicates a potential collision between a ship and a rock. The angle will vary depending on the distance between the ship and the rock, as well as the size and shape of the rock.

5. How can the angle between a ship and a rock be used in navigation?

The angle between a ship and a rock can be used in navigation to determine the ship's distance from the rock. This information can then be used to plot the ship's course and avoid potential collisions.