Calculating the amplitude that a particle is spin up

In summary, the wavefunction for a spin 1/2 particle is a spinor field of the form \psi(\mathbf{x},t)=\left( \begin{array}{cc} \psi_{+}(\mathbf{x},t)\\ \psi_{-}(\mathbf{x},t)\end{array} \right), where \psi_{+} represents the amplitude for the particle to be spin up and located at position x at time t. However, it is not possible to calculate the amplitude for the particle to be just spin up, without any regards for its position. Instead, we can calculate the probability for the particle to be spin up by taking the inner product of
dEdt
The wavefunction for a spin 1/2 particle is a spinor field of the form [tex]\psi(\mathbf{x},t)=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\psi_{+}(\mathbf{x},t)\\
\psi_{-}(\mathbf{x},t)
\end{array}
\right).[/tex]
[itex]\psi_{+}(\mathbf{x},t)[/itex] is the amplitude that the particle is both spin up and located at position x at time t. How can I calculate the amplitude that the particle is just spin up, without any regards for its position? Would it be something like
[tex]\int \psi_{+}(\mathbf{x,t})d^3 \mathbf{x}?[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dEdt said:
The wavefunction for a spin 1/2 particle is a spinor field of the form [tex]\psi(\mathbf{x},t)=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\psi_{+}(\mathbf{x},t)\\
\psi_{-}(\mathbf{x},t)
\end{array}
\right).[/tex]
[itex]\psi_{+}(\mathbf{x},t)[/itex] is the amplitude that the particle is both spin up and located at position x at time t. How can I calculate the amplitude that the particle is just spin up, without any regards for its position? Would it be something like
[tex]\int \psi_{+}(\mathbf{x,t})d^3 \mathbf{x}?[/tex]

Here is what I thought of

[tex] |\Psi\rangle = |\psi\rangle\otimes|\alpha\rangle [/tex]

The completeness should lead to
[tex]\int dx |x\rangle\langle x| \otimes \left(|\uparrow\rangle\langle \uparrow |+ |\downarrow\rangle\langle \downarrow |\right) = \mathbb{I}[/tex]

Thus we have the expansion
[tex]\left[\int dx |x\rangle\langle x| \otimes \left(|\uparrow\rangle\langle \uparrow |+ |\downarrow\rangle\langle \downarrow |\right)\right] |\Psi\rangle = \int dx \langle x|\psi\rangle |x\rangle \otimes \left(\langle \uparrow |\alpha\rangle |\uparrow\rangle + \langle \downarrow |\alpha\rangle |\downarrow\rangle\right)[/tex]

Take the inner product with spin up state vector. [I don't know if this is valid]
[tex]\langle \uparrow |\Psi\rangle = \int dx \langle x|\psi\rangle \langle \uparrow |\alpha\rangle |x\rangle [/tex]

The norm of this should give us the desired number but this number can be obtained by taking inner product of [itex] |\psi\rangle\otimes |\uparrow\rangle [/itex] with the state vector written in first equation.

I am myself confused. How do we write [itex]\psi_{+}[/itex] in form of innerproduct?
Can we write
[tex]
\psi_{+} = \langle x|\psi\rangle \langle \uparrow |\alpha\rangle ?
[/tex]

Last edited:
Mentors... advisors ...
any correction/suggestion will be helpful :)

I think the correct answer is (in terms of probability)
[tex]\int |\psi_{+}(\mathbf{x,t})|^2d^3 \mathbf{x}[/tex]
I want to know if the mathematics I have done is correct. Thanks

dEdt said:
How can I calculate the amplitude that the particle is just spin up, without any regards for its position?

There's no such quantity. You can calculate the *probability* that the particle is spin-up without regards for its position, and your expression for this probability in #3 is correct. But in general it doesn't make sense to talk about the *amplitude* for the particle to be spin-up, regardless of position. You can't just do ##\int d^3 x \psi_+(x)## because squaring this will not give you the correct probability that you wrote down in #3.

The_Duck said:
But in general it doesn't make sense to talk about the *amplitude* for the particle to be spin-up, regardless of position.
In quantum computation we do it all the time. We don't care at what position our nucleus is (in case of NMR) but we do care about the amplitudes of nucleus in spin up and down states.

Sure, I think it makes sense to define such an amplitude if ##\psi_+(x)## has essentially the same phase everywhere in space. Then I think we can define a sensible amplitude ##e^{i \phi} \sqrt{\int d^3 x |\psi_+ (x)|^2}## where ##e^{i \phi}## is the constant global phase of ##\psi_+(x)##. But if ##\psi_+(x)## is not coherent in this way I don't think you can define an amplitude to be spin up independent of position. We are tracing out the position degree of freedom and we end up with a density matrix, whose entries are probabilities and not amplitudes.

Related to Calculating the amplitude that a particle is spin up

1. How is the amplitude of a particle being spin up calculated?

The amplitude of a particle being spin up is calculated by taking the square root of the probability of the particle being in the spin up state. This probability is determined by the quantum mechanical wavefunction of the particle.

2. What is the significance of calculating the amplitude of a particle being spin up?

The amplitude of a particle being spin up is important because it provides information about the quantum state of the particle. It can also help determine the probability of the particle having a certain spin orientation in a given measurement.

3. Can the amplitude of a particle being spin up change over time?

No, the amplitude of a particle being spin up is a constant value that does not change over time. However, the probability of the particle being in the spin up state may change depending on the measurement being taken.

4. How does the spin of a particle affect its amplitude?

The spin of a particle does not directly affect its amplitude. However, the spin state of a particle does affect the probability of the particle being in the spin up state, which in turn affects the amplitude calculation.

5. Is there a difference between calculating the amplitude of a particle being spin up and calculating its spin?

Yes, there is a difference between these two calculations. The amplitude of a particle being spin up is a measure of the probability of the particle being in the spin up state, while calculating the spin of a particle involves determining the quantum mechanical property of the particle's angular momentum.