Calculating the Age of an Ancient Boat: A Radioactive Decay Problem

That makes much more sense. Using the activity equation and solving for t, we get t = ln(0.16/0.25) / (-ln(2)/5730) = 3666 years, which is the same as your calculation. So it seems like your method was a valid approach to solving this problem. Good job!
Iscariot
The carbon in living matter contains a fixed proportion of the radioactive isotope carbon-14. The carbon-14 in 1.00g of carbon from living matter has an activity of 0.250Bq. The half-life of carbon-14 is 5730. When a plant dies the proportion of carbon-14 decreases due to radioactive decay. A 1.00g sample of carbon from an ancient boat has an activity of 0.160Bq. Determine the age of the board.

Here's how I solved it...

Original Activity = 0.25Bq
Activity of Sample = 0.16Bq

Then I just calculated what's that as a ratio of the original activity...

0.16/0.25 = 0.64

Then multiplied the half time by this number:

5730 * 0.64 = 3666 years ~ 3700 years

Which is the correct answer. However this seems like a bit of a fluke. Especially since I've got a feeling I should be using this formula:

x = x(original) ^-(lamda)*(time)

Can anyone put my mind at ease, was my answer a fluke or is that a valid method to calculating the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you do it your way you aren't really considering the fact that it's an exponential decay.
I would say that you would use the activity equation given by:
[tex]A=A_oe^-^\lambda ^t[/tex]
It's just as easy. Just rearrange it and then take the natural log of both sides to solve for t.
Where [tex]\lambda=ln(2)/T_1_/_2[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating the Age of an Ancient Boat: A Radioactive Decay Problem

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which unstable atoms lose energy and transform into more stable atoms, resulting in the emission of radiation.

2. How do you calculate the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay is calculated using the decay constant, which is the probability of a specific atom decaying per unit of time. This can be determined using the formula: λ = ln(2)/t½, where λ is the decay constant and t½ is the half-life of the radioactive substance.

3. What is the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of the substance to decay. This value is constant for each radioactive substance and can range from microseconds to billions of years.

4. How does radioactive decay affect the amount of a substance over time?

As radioactive atoms decay, the amount of the substance decreases exponentially over time. This means that the rate of decay will decrease as the amount of the substance decreases.

5. How can radioactive decay be used in dating techniques?

The decay of radioactive elements can be used to determine the age of objects such as fossils, rocks, and artifacts. By measuring the amount of radioactive isotope remaining in a sample and comparing it to the amount of stable isotope, scientists can calculate the age of the object.