Calculating Tension Ratio in Inelastic Collision of Hanging Clay Balls

In summary, two clay balls with masses m and 2m collide inelastically, with the first ball initially at rest and the second ball approaching with a speed of sqrt(2gL) on the same plane. After the collision, the balls stick together and the tension in the string becomes T1. When the combined balls are at their maximum angle X, the tension in the string is T2. Using momentum conservation and energy conservation, it can be determined that T2/T1 = 5/17.
Gman24

Homework Statement

A clay ball of mass m hangs from a string with length L. When a second clay ball with mass 2m approaches it with a speed of sqrt(2gL) on the same plane. The collision is completely intelastic so that the balls stick together after the collision. Let T1 be ethe tension in the string immediately after the collision and T2 be the tension in the string when the combined balls are at their maximum angle X. Find T2/T1.
The known quantities are m, g, and L

the answer is supposed to be : 5/17

Homework Equations

m1V1+m2V2=(m1+m2)Vimp
E1 + Work Non Conservative= E2
any Force summations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so I started out with momentum conservation.
since the mass m is at rest I threw that out of the left side of the eqn.
so I get:
2m(rt[2gL]) = (3m)Vimp
so I conlculded that the impact velocity (Vimp)= 2/3of(rt[2gl])

I then did FBDs for the initial and at the top of the swing.
at the bottom I got that
T1-3mg = (3mVimp/L)
and at the top of the swing
T2-3mgcosX = 0 (im not sure about this but I don't think it's accelerating radially if it hits absolute max swing angle since it would be at rest would it not at that instance?"

I then did energy conservation:
E1+Wnc=E2
I defined my y=0 to be the plain that the initial balls were traveling in. I got the ff:
E1 + Wnc:
K=(1/2)3mVimp^2
U=0
W=T1Lcos0 (again not sure)
E2:
K=0
U= 3mg(L-LcosX)

I don't know how to approach the problem given what I've found out. Thank you soo much for your guys' help in advance. Oh and sorry for the crazy notation I am using. I've had to make some compromises since I don't know how to do greek lettering and such on the comp :).

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for the double post but I don't know if this will help but here is the visual. Its problem number 2 on my practice test. Thanks again

Attachments

• PracticeTest4.pdf
    43.4 KB · Views: 235
anybody? I really need help on this one. I have a test in 2 hours.

Related to Calculating Tension Ratio in Inelastic Collision of Hanging Clay Balls

1. What is a tension ratio?

A tension ratio is a measurement used in material science to describe the relationship between the amount of force applied to a material and the resulting amount of tension or stress within the material.

2. How is a tension ratio calculated?

A tension ratio is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. This will give a unitless value that represents the amount of tension or stress within the material.

3. Why is it important to find the tension ratio in materials?

Understanding the tension ratio in materials is important for designing and testing the strength and durability of structures. It can also help identify potential weak points or areas of failure in a material.

4. What factors can affect the tension ratio of a material?

The tension ratio of a material can be affected by its composition, shape, and size. Other factors such as temperature, applied force, and external forces can also impact the tension ratio.

5. How can the tension ratio of a material be improved?

The tension ratio of a material can be improved by using stronger or more durable materials, adjusting the shape or size of the material, or incorporating reinforcements such as fibers or alloys. Proper testing and analysis can also help identify and address any weaknesses in the material's tension ratio.