Calculating Tension in Anchor Cord for Submerged Box

• Thread starter lenarass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wooden box placed in a fresh water lake and tied to an anchor. The box is half submerged and the question is to find the tension in the cord. The conversation includes discussions on drawing a free body diagram, considering buoyancy and Archimedes' principle, and finding the volume and weight of the box and the anchor. The final answer is found to be a negative value, indicating compression. The conversation also mentions including the weight of the iron block in the calculations.
lenarass
tension, forces .please help me:(

Homework Statement

A hollow but water-tight cubic box of wood, 1.2m on each side, weighs 961 N in air. It is placed in fresh water lake tied to an anchor made of solid iron (1m x 1m x 10 cm) with a weightless cord of such length that exactly half of the wooden box is submerged. What is the tension in the cord?

Homework Equations

i don't know how to start.if u can help me a little bit and then try together i will appreciate it!:)

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry:( i just need a little bit help

Physics news on Phys.org

Start by drawing a free body diagram of the box showing all the forces acting on it. How many are there and in what direction does each force act? What is the net force on the box?

i did that but then? i don't know ..thx for helping me kuruman
why it says bout volume of anchor. why it gives me the dimension of each side of the box? (1.2)
how do u use them:/

when you tie you object/wood in air it weighs 961 N. That means the tension on the rope is 961 N. Now you find the same when the wood is tied to solid iron, and also when it is immersed in water...that is all you need...just apply buoyancy + Archimedes rule..
good luck

lenarass said:
i did that but then? i don't know ..thx for helping me kuruman
why it says bout volume of anchor. why it gives me the dimension of each side of the box? (1.2)
how do u use them:/
What is the buoyant force according to Archimedes' principle?

Volume of cube = 1.2^3 = 1.728 m^3

then divide by 2 because the cub is half in water so 1.728/2= 0.864 m^3

water displaced => m (mass) = V(volume) * p (density of water)
so

0.864 x 1000 = 864 kg

864 x 9.8 = 8467.2 N

so apparent weight of cube is 961 - 8467.2 = -7506.2 N

so tension in cord is -7506.2 N ?? ?

negative value means compression!
What happened to the iron solid?? include that also

Rajini said:
negative value means compression!
What happened to the iron solid?? include that also

what do u mean? should i include volume of anchor also? that's why he gave me its dimensios?

Hmm if i understand your case..the wood and iron block were tied with a string. And you want to find the tension in that string ?...I such case i assume iron block does not hit the ground..if it hits then no tension in that string..so just find the buoyant force for wood and anchor separately..and buoyant force acts upwards..so find the difference..buoyant for for wood is high because it float top and anchor bottom..
do you have a solution for you question?
PS: forgot to inform you..in both cases include 961 N!

Related to Calculating Tension in Anchor Cord for Submerged Box

1. How do you calculate the tension in the anchor cord for a submerged box?

To calculate the tension in the anchor cord for a submerged box, you will need to know the weight of the box, the depth at which it is submerged, and the angle of the anchor cord relative to the horizontal. You can then use the formula T = W/cos(θ) * h, where T is the tension, W is the weight, θ is the angle, and h is the depth.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the tension in the anchor cord for a submerged box?

The purpose of calculating the tension in the anchor cord is to ensure that the box remains securely in place and does not float away or become damaged. It also helps determine the appropriate strength and length of the anchor cord needed for the specific box and depth.

3. What factors can affect the tension in the anchor cord for a submerged box?

The main factors that can affect the tension in the anchor cord include the weight of the box, the angle of the anchor cord, the depth at which the box is submerged, and any external forces such as currents or wind.

4. How does the angle of the anchor cord affect the tension in a submerged box?

The angle of the anchor cord plays a significant role in determining the tension in a submerged box. A smaller angle will result in a higher tension, while a larger angle will result in a lower tension. This is because a smaller angle means the weight of the box is more directly pulling on the anchor cord.

5. Can the tension in the anchor cord for a submerged box ever be zero?

No, the tension in the anchor cord can never be zero. Even if the box is not submerged and the anchor cord is completely horizontal, there will still be some tension due to the weight of the box. It is essential to calculate and maintain an appropriate tension to keep the box in place.