Calculating temperature of Hydrogen gas cloud

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the temperature of an interstellar cloud of atomic hydrogen based on the ratio of atoms in the 2nd and 1st excited states and using equations such as the Wien's displacement law and the Boltzmann equation. The final solution suggests using the Boltzmann equation to calculate the temperature.
rshalloo

Homework Statement

The H-alpha line corresponds to a transition between the 2nd and 1st excited states of hydrogen, and has a wavelength of 656.3nm. The ratio of the number of atoms in these two states in an interstellar cloud of atomic hydrogen is 2x10^-6. Find the temperature of the cloud

Homework Equations

I was thinking maybe something to do with wiens displacement law
[itex]\frac{h f}{k T}=2.822[/itex]
or maybe occupation number
[itex]n_{i}=\frac{1}{e^{\frac{h c}{k T \lambda}}-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I kind of took a stab in the dark with the occupation number and got 1673.91K and then the same with wiens law and got 7782K both of which I'm guessing are slightly too large for a hydrogen cloud.

Could someone please point me in the correct direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you want the excitation equation, which relates the number of atoms in one energy state to the number in a different state.

tms said:
I believe you want the excitation equation, which relates the number of atoms in one energy state to the number in a different state.

I'm not sure we've covered that? (am attempting previous exam papers so it might have been on the course before) unless there's also another name for such an equation?

Ahh yes that makes much more sense now. Thanks very much for your help :)

Related to Calculating temperature of Hydrogen gas cloud

1. How do you calculate the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud?

The temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud can be calculated using the formula T = (m/M) * (3/2) * (k/N), where T is the temperature in Kelvin, m is the mass of the cloud, M is the molar mass of Hydrogen, k is the Boltzmann constant, and N is the number of particles in the cloud.

2. What is the importance of calculating the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud?

Calculating the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud is important because it provides valuable information about the physical properties and behavior of the cloud. This information can be used to understand the formation and evolution of the cloud, as well as its role in the larger astronomical environment.

3. Can the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud change over time?

Yes, the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud can change over time. Factors such as external heating or cooling, compression or expansion, and chemical reactions can all affect the temperature of the cloud.

4. How accurate are temperature calculations for Hydrogen gas clouds?

The accuracy of temperature calculations for Hydrogen gas clouds depends on the quality and reliability of the data used in the calculations. In general, these calculations are highly accurate and can provide valuable insights into the physical properties of the cloud.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the temperature of a Hydrogen gas cloud, such as using spectroscopic observations or analyzing the thermal emission from the cloud. These methods may provide more accurate results in certain situations, but the temperature calculation formula is a reliable and commonly used approach.