Calculating Temperature Increase From Hand Rubbing Work

In summary, rubbing one's hands together converts work into thermal energy, resulting in a temperature increase. Using the equation work = force * distance, the amount of work done can be calculated, but it is unclear how this relates to temperature change. Assuming the process is 100% efficient, the specific heat capacity of human body (3470 J/(kg⋅°C)) can be used to calculate the temperature increase. However, there is no data on the assignment to determine the efficiency of the process.
narutoish

Homework Statement

Rubbing your hands together warms them by converting work into thermal energy. If a woman rubs her hands back and forth for a total of 10 rubs a distance of 7.50 cm each and with a frictional force averaging 45.0 N, what is the temperature increase? The mass of tissue warmed is only 0.100 kg, mostly in the palms and fingers.

Homework Equations

work = force * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

i can find the work, but after that I don't know how to connect that to temperature change.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the work is converted to heat, I would go with Q = cmΔT , but I have no idea what c is for human skin, tissue, cells or whatever. If you assume the process is 100% efficient, all the work done goes toward heating the skin, then all you would need is the c , the amount of energy it takes to heat up 1 kg of mass by 1 K
It is said lots of it in our body is water, the c for water is 4.2 kJ/ kgK, the surface of the skin is sweat so water again, but I'm not a beauty salon worker :/, can't help you any further at the moment.

Last edited:
Hi Naruto,
Specific heat capacity of human body on average is 3470 J/(kg⋅°C).So I think you should use that.

so does all the work convert to heat?

Never does. There is no further data on the assignment, therefore I can assume the process is 100% efficient.

Thanks guys I got it.

Related to Calculating Temperature Increase From Hand Rubbing Work

1. How does hand rubbing create heat?

Hand rubbing creates heat through a process called friction. When two surfaces rub against each other, the molecules of the two surfaces come into contact and create resistance. This resistance leads to the conversion of mechanical energy into thermal energy, resulting in an increase in temperature.

2. Is there a formula for calculating the temperature increase from hand rubbing?

Yes, the formula for calculating the temperature increase from hand rubbing is Q = μN, where Q is the heat generated, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force applied during rubbing. This formula is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

3. What factors affect the temperature increase from hand rubbing?

The temperature increase from hand rubbing can be affected by various factors such as the duration and intensity of rubbing, the surface material and texture, the speed of rubbing, and the environment (e.g. room temperature and humidity). These factors can impact the amount of friction and, therefore, the amount of heat generated.

4. Can hand rubbing be used to accurately measure temperature?

No, hand rubbing is not a reliable method for measuring temperature. While it can generate heat, the amount of heat produced can vary depending on individual factors such as hand size and strength. Additionally, the temperature increase from hand rubbing is temporary and will dissipate quickly, making it difficult to get an accurate measurement.

5. How can the temperature increase from hand rubbing be used in everyday life?

The temperature increase from hand rubbing can be useful in certain situations, such as starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together. In everyday life, it can also be used to warm up hands on a cold day or to create heat for hand warmers. However, it is not a practical or accurate method for measuring temperature and should not be relied upon for that purpose.