Calculating Swinger Mass with Limited Information

In summary, the maximum mass of the swinger can be determined by using the equation T=mg + mv^2/r where T is the maximum tension of the rope, g is the gravitational acceleration, m is the mass of the swinger, v is the velocity, and r is the length of the rope. However, since the length and velocity are not given, the values for mass and length will cancel out in the equation, leaving only the mass as the unknown factor.
1MileCrash
A rope has a max tension of 800N.

A swinger is pulled back so that the rope is 27 degrees from vertical.

What's the max mass of the swinger?

Ok... I have tried a few approaches. I can't relate potential to kinetic because I am not given height. And even if i could get to kinetic, i don't know mass!

I figure that tension must be able to support weight and apply the centripetal force,

T=mg + mv^2/r

But I have no r.. no length, no v.. what's the key?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1MileCrash! :smile:

Call the length "r" and the mass "m" …

they'll cancel out in the end! :wink:

Related to Calculating Swinger Mass with Limited Information

1. What is the relationship between the angle of the swing and its speed?

The angle of the swing is directly related to its speed. The higher the angle, the faster the swing will move. This is due to the fact that a higher angle creates a longer arc, allowing the swing to cover more distance in a shorter amount of time.

2. Can the angle of the swing affect its center of gravity?

Yes, the angle of the swing can affect its center of gravity. When the angle is higher, the center of gravity shifts towards the bottom of the swing, making it more stable and easier to maintain a consistent motion.

3. How does the angle of the swing affect the force of gravity?

The angle of the swing does not affect the force of gravity. Gravity remains constant regardless of the swing's angle. However, the angle does affect the direction of the force of gravity, causing it to pull the swing towards the center of the arc rather than straight down.

4. Does the angle of the swing affect the length of the pendulum?

Yes, the angle of the swing does affect the length of the pendulum. A higher angle creates a longer pendulum, which means it will take longer for the swing to complete one full cycle of motion. This also affects the speed and energy of the swing.

5. How does the angle of the swing affect the period of oscillation?

The angle of the swing has a direct effect on the period of oscillation, which is the time it takes for the swing to complete one full back-and-forth motion. A higher angle results in a longer period of oscillation, while a lower angle results in a shorter period of oscillation.